//Trail Status mouse over Java // Bicycle Travel Case needed

Author Topic: Bicycle Travel Case needed  (Read 1877 times)

EricB

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Bicycle Travel Case needed
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:39:37 PM »
I am taking a trip in the coming weeks and am in need of a case to ship my bike.  Rather than use a cardboard bike box, I would like to have a hard sided case for added protection.  Does anybody have one I can 'rent' for a couple of weeks?  Any recommendations on packing a bike for shipment, or a local shop who can help?

My bike is a extra large dual suspension 29'er. 

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Eric

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Bicycle Travel Case needed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
I recently had a trip out west where I needed to ship my bike (large 29'er HT).  I used a cardboard box both ways and all was good.  The extra weight with the hard sided boxes is REALLY going to increase your shipping cost.  One thing I would suggest, use Bikeflights.com and get your shipping label printed from them.  Their service couldn't have been better or easier and it is about as simple of a process as you can imagine.  Simply go on their site and enter your address and the address you want to ship to, pay the amount (for me $50 to ship from Indiana to Colorado), attach the label to the box and drop off at local FedEx.  This saved me easily $50 each way as the bike shops I checked couldn't get their FedEx or UPS accounts to come close to matching the Bikeflights.com rate.  Good luck!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »
Yeah, hard sided cases are HEAVY.

I have a friend who has had really good results with EVOC soft cases. He did a trip to New Zealand last year, and a trip to Switzerland this year with his. But even one of those adds more weight than you might expect. I have heard that a 30lb bike + case will wind up just under 50lb total.

Most shops will pack a bike for shipping if you want someone else to handle that end of things. Call around. Your bike is big and not all of them are going to have a box big enough that will work.

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 04:45:56 PM »
I used a soft sided case (similar to an EVOC) to fly with my single speed hardtail 29er to San Francisco last year. Bike was in fine shape and the bag was fairly easy to carry around. No extra fees either, since the bag  contained "convention display materials." Woman at the airline desk in Indy didn't believe me but didn't push the issue. Guy in San Fran on the way home could not have cared less what was in there.

trbsami

• Training wheels on
  • HMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:16 PM »
For the last 3 yrs` trips to Florida I`ve used Bike Flights/ FedEx and cardboard boxes.  Stores are glad to give them out. I got 2 that nest together, giving me plenty of protection for a med 29er hardtail. Lots of zip ties, crumpled newspaper, and packing tape. Cut in and tape up handle holes to encourage the handlers to leave it upright and not have to throw it around.  Weigh the whole thing and throw in shoes, tools, gear to reach 50#limit.

Niner Air 9/ 1x10/ Midge drop bar/ 700Cx40
2015 Trek Stache 9.  29x3.0!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links