//Trail Status mouse over Java // Volunteers needed!

Author Topic: Volunteers needed!  (Read 3015 times)

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Volunteers needed!
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
Now that the new trails at O'Bannon are open, and have received great reviews, it's time to address an important issue.

We are still looking for volunteers willing to help maintain the trails.

No one has stepped forward to do a "safety check" with the park management for chain saw operation. Fallen trees remain across the trail, since our approved operators haven't been able to get out to the park every time they fall.

Branches, briers and berries are hanging over the trails because no one else has stepped up to trim back the trails.

Don't leave it all up to a very small handful of volunteers to maintain a trail that everyone enjoys!

andyfloyd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteers needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »
I'm going to have a lot more free time soon. Therefore I will try to help out when I ride the trails. I usually don't make I t over too often since I'm in Louisville but I can do what I can when I'm out if I spot something in the trail.

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »
I'm going to have a lot more free time soon. Therefore I will try to help out when I ride the trails. I usually don't make I t over too often since I'm in Louisville but I can do what I can when I'm out if I spot something in the trail.

Thanks! If everyone that rides would just do a little bit, it would really make a difference!

hccaver

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to mountain biking, but not new to Harrison-Crawford / Wyandotte Woods. I'm very close to the trails and I'll probably be over there a couple times a week.

What can I do to help?

Looking forward to this hobby; it's something I've wanted to do for some time now. Thanks,

Chuck

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to mountain biking, but not new to Harrison-Crawford / Wyandotte Woods. I'm very close to the trails and I'll probably be over there a couple times a week.

What can I do to help?

Looking forward to this hobby; it's something I've wanted to do for some time now. Thanks,

Chuck

Thanks for asking! A few simple things can sometimes go a long way, and can often be done if you just take a quick break from riding.

Some suggestions (Keep track of your time on the trail, as we record it as part of our volunteer contributions):

If you see fallen limbs, branches or larger loose rocks on trail, stop and toss them off to the side. The next rider would probably thank you, as you could be helping to prevent derailleur damage.

Carry a small set of pruners in your pack, and trim back raspberry and briers that may be overhanging the trails. They seem to grow quickly, and scratch arms and legs. Also, cleaning up overhanging branches that may slap riders in the face is appreciated.

Occasionally a "sight line" may grow in and need trimming back as well. Think about how fast someone could come up on another rider without being able to see them. A few branches here or there can make it much safer.

Join us for one of the future "trail maintenance" or "trail building" days, when a larger group of volunteers will address drainage, rock armoring or trail repair.

And have fun! The trails at O'Bannon are an awesome place to learn--not the easiest for beginners, but if you want to improve your riding skills, it's hard to find a better place in this neck of the woods...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:50:40 PM by PKemppainen »

hccaver

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »
Sure, I can absolutely do that. I'd also definitely be up for participating in some work days. I'll try and frequent the forums often to look for potential opportunities to volunteer.

I took my first ride there last week. Once I invest in a better pack, I'll make the pruners a regular rider in my Camelbak.

Thanks for the reply and I look forward to meeting up and helping out.  :)

(The trail I rode the other day was awesome! Great job to all of you guys / gals who up keep it)

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links