//Trail Status mouse over Java // Storing bikes

Author Topic: Storing bikes  (Read 1995 times)

dprimm

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Storing bikes
« on: July 30, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »
How do you store your bikes?  Esp with the shocks?  horizontal?  Vertical?  Upside down? 

Disadvantages to the vertical / upside down options? 

The best way for me to store mine would be hanging from the ceiling.  But I really don't want the shocks and hydraulics upside down for most of the winter if I can help it.  I don't have the space to store them standing properly on the ground. 

Really need that "Honey I shrunk the kids" ray for winter storage! 

David

Mattntp

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Storing bikes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
Get rid of everything that is in the way. I store mine in the work stand that has a permanent spot in the garage. I ride year round, so it never gets "put away for the winter" Chances are you have the space but it's being taken up by things that are less important than your bike, like photo albums or family heirlooms.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »
I have hung bikes both vertically and horizontally. Either works fine. Go look at how the local shops store bikes efficiently. Most hang them vertically.

People whine about vertical hanging affecting hydraulic brakes, in particular. It's only a problem if your brakes need to be bled, anyway. So bleed your brakes if it's a problem.

Fox manuals actually say inverting the fork is good for keeping fluid on the foam washer and preventing it from drying.

ztbishop

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 05:40:27 PM »
I hang everything upside down on the side of the garage between the wall and the garage door track.  Some of them have suspension and hydro brakes...no problems.  If it ever did give problems, you need new fork seals or to bleed the brakes anyway.  This allows me to store things under the bikes as well.  I tried mounting vertical but that ended up taking more space from the garage (they stick out really far from the wall).  Also, a good cable lock / alarm help with peace of mind...I wouldn't want to saw through a steel cable with an alarm blaring.

The only disadvantage I'd give to upside down storage would be if you run tubeless and want to spin the wheels every week during the winter.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »
Hanging upside down in the garage.  Had a juicy brake leak once but always had problems with them.  I ride couple time a week year round as long as trails are open.

scottatodd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »
If you have enough ceiling height in your garage (which fortunately, I do) go for the best of both worlds and use the pulley systems. Out of the way, and right side up!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links