//Trail Status mouse over Java // Weather Conditions and Trail Maintenance

Author Topic: Weather Conditions and Trail Maintenance  (Read 1516 times)

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Weather Conditions and Trail Maintenance
« on: July 22, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »
Not that I'm announcing anything that we probably don't already know, since mountain biking at O'Bannon has been very limited this year--The National Weather Service in Louisville recently reported.

The 2nd wettest July to date.
The 3rd wettest April ever.
The 6th wettest year to date. We're about 4" off the record, set in 2011, at 43.61".

Needless to say, with all the rain, many of the trails have taken a beating this season. Trail maintenance has also been limited, and the overhanging branches and briers have had a great chance to multiply with all the wet conditions.

If you are out riding the trails, please do a little bit to help with the maintenance. Don't leave it all up to only a few people.

Think about carrying some small trimmers, pruners or maybe a folding handsaw. Take a few breaks along the way and please stop to remove any debris or overhanging branches. If you would prefer to hike, carry a Rhino and perhaps do some berm busting, or maybe some rock armoring, if necessary. The soft areas will be holding water where ruts have been formed.

Record your time and report it, as it does count toward the HMBA volunteer hours. Everyone definitely appreciates the new trails at O'Bannon, and will definitely appreciate anyone who steps up to help keep them in great shape! Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:12:55 PM by PKemppainen »

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Conditions and Trail Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 01:46:53 PM »
It's no wonder the trails seem like they are always wet.

The National Weather Service in Louisville recently reported that from June 1st to August 15th, they'd recorded 18.35" of rain, making this the 5th wettest summer since the 1800's. (And since this was reported on August 15th, it doesn't include all the rain we've had so far today.)

The good news is that all the work we did on drainage earlier this year seems to be helping dry the trails out quicker, but more rain is forecast for later today.

hccaver

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
Hey there,

There's a tree down at the beginning of the first rocky area on the fire tower trail (as of Friday). I don't own a chainsaw of I would have taken care of it myself.

Sorry to post here, I'm not sure where to submit trail conditions at.

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
Hey there,

There's a tree down at the beginning of the first rocky area on the fire tower trail (as of Friday). I don't own a chainsaw of I would have taken care of it myself.

Sorry to post here, I'm not sure where to submit trail conditions at.

Thanks for the report. Apparently a couple of the guys removed it yesterday.

But you brought up a good idea. I am going to create a new "sticky" so that riders can report trees down, etc.

hccaver

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
Good deal!

I noticed it was moved when I rode Tuesday evening.

Thanks, if I see anything I cannot deal with while riding, I'll try and post it.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links