//Trail Status mouse over Java // tips for getting the bead to seat

Author Topic: tips for getting the bead to seat  (Read 2575 times)

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
tips for getting the bead to seat
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »
Took a ride on Green Valley last Friday and got a flat.  I have always had trouble getting the bead to seed but it was impossible with my small trail pump and cost way too much ride time.  Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions to get a stubborn tire bead to seed?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:03:40 AM by getsometrail »
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
Re: tips for getting the bead to seed.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
I am assuming you're running tubeless.  CO2 cartridge would be my suggestion.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 02:46:41 AM »
On the trail an inner tube would have solved the problem fast.  Then get tubeless going when you are home and have access to air compressor.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: tips for getting the bead to seat.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
Sorry I wasn't specific enough, I am actually using tubes.  Usually I have to pump them up to over 60 psi and use soapy water to get them to seed properly in the rim.  Additionally I have stuck tire levers in between the rim and tire bead to help it get outside the deep inner channel of the rim.  I have used Kenda, Maxxis, and now Continental tires all giving me the same result so I think it is just the WTB rims.  I bought the bike with some laserdiscs and after tacoing a front I purchased some speed discs, both WTB and both difficult to seed using tubes!  What happens is some of the bead gets stuck in the lower middle part of the rim and with my hand pump I could not get enough pressure to pop it out.  Not really noticeable on the back tire but when it happens to the front I can notice it throws the wheel off balance.  I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions besides extremely high pressure. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:03:58 AM by getsometrail »
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:58:25 AM »
Lube with water which you should have with you or just ride it and use higher pressure when you get home to SEAT (not seed) the bead.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: tips for getting the bead to seat.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:05:13 AM »
                       SEAT (not seed) the bead.
Well that is a little embarrassing but thanks for the education!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: tips for getting the bead to seat
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »
What are you using for a rim strip? Cloth? Sounds like you should be using the thinnest you can possibly find. Maybe a wrap of Stans tape.

Most mtb tires, I don't need levers to remove. Even my fatbike tires, which a lot of people have problems with, I can remove without levers. Some tire/rim combos will practically fall off on their own without any tire pressure holding them in place. Reinflating, they all slide back into place easy peasy. The really loose ones might want to blow the bead off if you're not careful. On a brand new tire, the bead typically pops as it finishes seating into place, but subsequently, it just goes where it's supposed to. Now, getting the fatbike tires to seat tubeless is another thing altogether, and it's a totally different issue than what you seem to be having.

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
Re: tips for getting the bead to seat
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »
Water was a good suggestion as high pressure is sheer force but water will reduce the friction and is more useful in my experience. Take it a step further and fill this http://amzn.com/B000NIY7QM   with Dawn and water. It looks pocketable but should be enough for one tire.

I agree about the rim being the culprit based on your statement. That has to get frustrating and old to constantly fight with it. I never enjoy new tire install struggles but generally don't have problems after time and miles give it some stretch.

When I'm at home sometimes I'll compress the tire into the driveway several times, rotating it about 15 degrees between each push. I do this on tubeless, not usually on tubed setups. But as someone else said, riding it will also often put the finishing touch on the fit but here again, tubes are more sensitive. I'd rather it be seated fully before riding if tubes are in the mix.

Out of curiosity, do you usually buy Kevlar/folding bead tires or the wire bead? Do you opt for general purpose/performance tier models? If you're using tubeless-ready or UST type tires with tubes I'd expect you'd struggle more overall- I find the bead and rubber is beefier on tubeless-oriented tires but maybe it's my imagination.

~Yet another Dave

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links