//Trail Status mouse over Java // Potato creek services

Author Topic: Potato creek services  (Read 2504 times)

dprimm

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Potato creek services
« on: June 14, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
with the race coming up soon, what does the park have available as services?  Specifically, are there showers that can be used?  I don't mind paying but the state web site does not say. 

Thanks

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
Re: Potato creek services
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »
Great question. Heading straight from the race to go, "up north" on vacation. It would be great to rinse off the race fungus before driving 6 hours.  :o

djkouza

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • DJKouza
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
Great question. Heading straight from the race to go, "up north" on vacation. It would be great to rinse off the race fungus before driving 6 hours.  :o
I'm looking to pickup a pump sprayer and use that for "after ride/race rinsing"
http://www.lowes.com/pd_58855-1319-27151___?productId=3295540&pl=1&Ntt=pump+sprayer  That is just 1 gal, might go with more.  Doesn't beat a real shower, but better than nothing.  Also works WONDERS for keeping the bikes clean.  I used to do it with my dirtbikes. 
djkouza
HMBA-IMBA Member
'13 GT Zaskar Comp
'15 Specialized Stump Jumper

bikapelli1

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:15:59 PM »
You could always go with this route.  http://www.coleman.com/product/5-gallon-camp-shower/2000014865?contextCategory=28170#.VX41FEYmmzs  We've used one like that (if not that one) at races before, and while they aren't perfect, they can get the job done.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." H.G Wells

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:20:45 AM »
When I went to that Coleman site all I could see was a 30 can cooler.   ;)

Here is a park review I found, dated July, 2010. Hopefully it's still accurate

One hour from Indiana Dunes in area of Notre Dame. Nice decent sized swim beach with dog beach sectioned off. The sand bottom lake was clean and warm in July. Beach has shower facilities (7 showers!) and snack bar with bike path leading to it from camp (rent bikes). Cheap boat rentals on pretty smooth water, fishing is popular. Camp area clean and well patrolled by DNR in truck and on bike patrol. Bathroom/showers very clean (daily check up) with wonderful hot water and nice space in shower to get dressed and place your supplies that don't get wet from shower area (bring your hand soap). Multiple buildings for showers. We tent camped (usually we'd 5th wheel trailer camp), and we weren't bothered with bugs (except on hikes!). A lot of pulled trailers and a lot of 5th wheel style there, so their space is good to pull those around the sites and turns. General store has just necessities as usual (ice machine too), but there is a decent basketball net. Bring your own ball, their's is very worn. Grocery stores not near by, so come prepared. Cell phone reception (Verizon) just OK. Would definitely return to this silly named park that has a lot of wildlife (deer etc). Drive slowly, rangers have a radar gun!

You could always go with this route.  http://www.coleman.com/product/5-gallon-camp-shower/2000014865?contextCategory=28170#.VX41FEYmmzs  We've used one like that (if not that one) at races before, and while they aren't perfect, they can get the job done.

jfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
I went to camp and bike there last year. They have some shower on the camping area. And if I remember right, they have some facilities by the beach too, similar to Indiana Dunes set up.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »
I camped there years ago. It is a pretty nice park with decent facilities and the beach is nice also, if you want to swim and cool off after the race. My parents live up north and are campers.  Potato Creek is there favorite place to camp close by.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

todd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
The beach shower is free, convenient, clean, with plenty of parking.  Used it today following the DINO triathlon.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links