//Trail Status mouse over Java // Heading to obannon for the first time tomorrow

Author Topic: Heading to obannon for the first time tomorrow  (Read 3628 times)

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Heading to obannon for the first time tomorrow
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:05:53 PM »
Me a couple riding buddy's are heading down tomorrow to ride hear for the first time.  Any suggestions on routes and where to park. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Waynebachmann

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to obannon for the first time tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:10:52 PM »
I have been riding FT Fire Tower to RR Rocky Ridge left to BR Breeden Ridge to PT Potatoe Run left to camp ground. Go to back of camp ground to C/D camp area to the AHT Trail down to BR Breedon Ridge right.  Left on RR Rocky Ridge skip FT left go right to camp ground to PR Potatoe Run to GC Group Camp back to FT Fire Tower. That pretty much gets all the trails in with a figure 8. Once you ride the trails it will not be so confusing. The trail signs all begin with 2 letters for each trail, such as FT for Fire Tower trail. The figure 8 is around 17 miles. Group camp and Fire Tower parallel each other and the others make loops. Cheers for future rides call 502 741 7404

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:23:20 AM »
Thanks waynebachmann

indyshred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
My son and I tried to ride Sat. and due to my stupidity (left back home)  we were left with 2 blown tires and no spare tubes!!! Lesson learned! However, I was wondering if someone could post a strava or garmin profile or map of the trails. Nobody there knew anything about where to get on or where trails went. This included the gate attendant (understandable), several campers and even riders on the trails knew ANYTHING about where to go or which way to go at intersections. We only made it about 4 1/2 miles before tire woes. Coming from the trailhead by the gate , we went right at the first 2 intersections. I understand this prolly went around back to the gate trailhead, but as we hiked back we went right at the 2nd intersection and plowed through the hillside to get to the back of the C campground. If we stayed on the trail, where would this have taken us? The map at the trailhead made absolutely no sense to me. I am SLOW though. Any help would be appreciated as from the SMALL section Ive seen it looks to be an awesome trail. We'll definitely be back, thanks.   

fourshay

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
Yea.  We were there this weekend as well.  I believe we ran into you.  We found it really difficult to find certain trails and find out what trails we were on.  Map did nothing.  The newer downhill/flow trail was awesome.  The uphills on that trail were pretty insane and tech.  Had to walk some.  We also rode Rocky Ridge.  We wanted to find Fire tower trail to get some smoother riding in for a little while but had no luck finding it.  You could tell a lot of work has been put into the trails.  Just wish we would of been able to ride more of the trails.  No one we talked to had much clue about the trails including anyone who worked there.  Hopefully we can come back again with better info/directions.

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile

indyshred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:28:14 AM »
Thanks Steve King. I didnt even think of looking at MTBProject. I appreciate it, now it makes sense. Another failure of mine last weekend, boy we get spoiled riding here in central Indiana.

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:35:51 AM »
Thanks Steve King. I didnt even think of looking at MTBProject. I appreciate it, now it makes sense. Another failure of mine last weekend, boy we get spoiled riding here in central Indiana.

Being new trails, we are still working to get everything wrapped up. Getting the trails built and opened for riding this summer was only the first part of the challenge.

We have been working with the park staff to create an updated map of the mountain bike trails system, and should have copies available in the park office, gate house and nature center in the near future.

Right now, the Carsonite signs at the intersections use a two letter code to identify the trails:

FT-Fire Tower
RR-Rocky Ridge
BR-Breeden Ridge
PR-Potato Run
GC-Group Camp
AT (AHT)-Adventure Trail

Riding at O'Bannon is unlike riding elsewhere in Indiana.
There are a number of rocky, technical sections and the place has been known to eat tires and destroy tubes. Carrying spare tubes is definitely recommended.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »
I've been there twice recently. And I had no issues finding my way around.  I thought it was easy to navigate. And on a second note Obannon rocks!!! Love these trails. I wish I had something like this closer to Indy.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links