//Trail Status mouse over Java // Sickle bar mower for the trail

Author Topic: Sickle bar mower for the trail  (Read 3713 times)

Attila

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Sickle bar mower for the trail
« on: May 29, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
The weed grows fat on the south loop again, and in some portions of the north section too. Iíve mowed the south loop last year, but Iím not risking to take my lawn tractor there again. Itís been too risky. At some spots the trail sides are too steep, especially in the areas close to the highway, and I was risking to flip over. I have to replace both blades after the mowing ($35) and getting the tractor to the trail and back was a challenge on itself. Therefore Iíve been thinking of getting something mechanized that can mow the south loop and would be permanently stored at the trail at least in the summer. Iím willing to store the tractor for the winter at my house. The traditional push mowers or riding mowers are not too effective, since the trail is not being mowed every week, therefore theyíll get stuck with the high weed really often. Iíve been looking for a sickle bar mower, similar to this one: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/5034906152.html
Not sure what condition this particular on is in, but I think it would be a good candidate for the trail. Iím willing to put up the first $50, and organize a fundraising for the rest. Any thoughts? Positive ones, please.
2005 Haro Extreme
2005 Cannondale Scalpel
2008 Cannondale Scalpel
2012 Cannondale Scalpel

ScottC

• View Profile
Re: Sickle bar mower for the trail
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »
They are not cheap, but if the funds could be found a field and brush mower could make a major difference.  The cost would probably be too high to just be dedicated to Town Run though.  Probably way too expensive to consider, but why not dream huh?

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/field-brush-mowers/

Attila

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »
In the summer it would be stashed @ TRTP, and covered. For the winter I would take it home, I live 5 min from the trail. I would also take on the maintenance part. (oil, filter, spark plug change, cleaning, cutting blade sharpening etc. )
2005 Haro Extreme
2005 Cannondale Scalpel
2008 Cannondale Scalpel
2012 Cannondale Scalpel

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »
I'm in for $50.

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »
I'll throw in $50

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
Please remember TRTP is in the 12th largest city in the United States with a population of over 1.2 million people.

Stashing a machine and throwing a cover over it is not a good idea unless you simply want to give your money away.

I would highly recommend it be stored off site year round.

Seth Hildebrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
Home Depot - Rental (Post Road Location)
Model # BC2600HM - 26" Mechanical Drive Outbackģ Brushcutter with fixed deck is perfect for meadow mowing and clears brush up to 6' high and saplings up to 2.0" diameter.
Rental Pricing for:

$55.00 4-Hour (Minimum)
$79.00 Per Day
$316.00 Per Week
$948.00 4 Weeks

But Attila's offer to store and maintain a purchased unit is also hard to beat. It you don't Attila I'm guessing he's homeless because I see him at TRTP EVERY time I am there. He would be best person I know to maintain the equipment.

Attila

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »
Well, the good news is that we've got $150 worth of pledge so far, the bad news is that the mower I wanted to buy got sold this morning. I'll keep looking for a similar one.
2005 Haro Extreme
2005 Cannondale Scalpel
2008 Cannondale Scalpel
2012 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 10:07:44 PM »
Don't forget there's the HMBA storage at Ft. Harrison. It's not far, it has a secure lock, and we've already got stuff stored there.

jfish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »

I'm in for $50 as well.

How about something like this?
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/5072262152.html

VONZIPPER

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 05:11:27 PM »

AndyLee

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »
I help at rang line to keep weeds down and trail upkeep, we just use a push mower, self propelled works best, we can get to all but just a few spots of the trail, it works great and just a couple times a year keeps the trail very ride able, we also weed wack what the mower can't get, I hope this input helps out I really enjoy riding town run and thank everyone that puts in there time for upkeep,

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links