//Trail Status mouse over Java // INFO on Flat Fork Creek Park

Author Topic: INFO on Flat Fork Creek Park  (Read 24861 times)

Rick M

• View Profile
Re: INFO on Flat Fork Creek Park
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2015, 06:29:30 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback on the trail. Now for the negatives first of all the middle is a progressive skills area meaning you start on the smaller things and work your way up. Everything out there is totally ridable and if you don't have the skills or the ability to Ride them don't ride them. There is a cheater line off to the side of every obstacle to go around them. Any time you get on your bike YOU are taking a risk of getting hurt. I really don't think removing the obstacles will solve anything just because some people can't ride them. It's a very small trail and people are making a big deal out of the man made stuff. It's obvious the park isn't open meaning the signs aren't up yet on the trail yet. If you don't want to Ride because it's not officially open yet don't. As for the trail not looking like a trail I'm not sure how much more needs to be done to make it look like a trail but feel fee to go over and work on that. The trail is ridden everyday currently there are 6 people over there riding. I guess you could go to the town council and have the trail paved then you can ride a Monon in the woods. Not sure how everyone will be happy. I will keep on riding
IMBA/HMBA Member

fortvillian

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2015, 07:19:46 AM »
I guess you could go to the town council and have the trail paved then you can ride a Monon in the woods. Not sure how everyone will be happy. I will keep on riding

lol, because this is what we want. This sounds like something my 15yr old might say. I'm out

djkouza

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • DJKouza
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
lol, because this is what we want. This sounds like something my 15yr old might say. I'm out

i think Rick is just not sure what is meant by 'needin more riding to look like a trail'

When I went out there a bit ago it looked just as much like a trail as any I've seen, so maybe elaborate on that?
djkouza
HMBA-IMBA Member
'13 GT Zaskar Comp
'15 Specialized Stump Jumper

VONZIPPER

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
What I meant was that it needs more people to ride it so it doesn't look so virgin, it's a great trail, and lots of fun. Of course it looks like a trail..it IS one. But the fact remains it does not flow and it has no logical route to follow to make it intuitive at this time. The rock crossing at the base of the bridge is all but impassable, forcing you to walk across and if you don't you can end up in the hospital..trust me I know, I went yesterday. If you think you can do better across the rocks I'm happy to set up video and watch. The obstacles are fine with me, I rode them yesterday and so did the kids with us, they had a blast. The only thing I would have changed about the park is a bridge across those damn chunky rocks then a rider could continue along to the other half of the run. Rick I think there is room for improvement and if Fishers would follow through and finish the park I'm sure most of it would be accomplished. The way it stands now, none of us know what the plans are and when.

Rick M

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
The creek crossing is also rideable we spent a couple hours leveling and replacing big rocks with little rocks my wife and daughter both ride it. I hope they leave it to me mountain biking is about challenge so if there's something I can't ride I figure out how to. And BTW I wish I was 15 again lol
IMBA/HMBA Member

KyleC

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
I rode it for the first time last Thursday. Definitely has some great potential! I actually wish there were some actual jumps and hips...but the walls are nice and flow well! most of the berms flow well too given the amount of space. Good job to the team that built it  :)

ATimman

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
The rock garden under the bridge is very rideable if you have the speed to hit it properly.
It is not meant to ride across at moderate speed. Rock gardens are meant to be ridden into fast and let your shocks do the work while you coast across. I have both worked on the park and ridden it many times. I have never had a problem with the rock garden however it is more an intermediate to expert obstacle and will be difficult for new or beginning riders with no training on ridding a rock garden.

Wear pads, ride safe and ride within your ability.
Mountain bike forever
2018 Yeti SB6 Proven Here

fortvillian

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2015, 05:05:50 PM »
The rock crossing at the base of the bridge is all but impassable, forcing you to walk across and if you don't you can end up in the hospital..trust me I know, I went yesterday.

I did the same thing about a month ago.  Luckily, my xray came out negative for broken bones in my hand. I attributed it to going way too fast over those rocks.  My front tire planted and sent me right over the handlebars.  lesson learned I guess. ;D 

VONZIPPER

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »
I planted too, loved on the rocks and ended up a bit worse for wear, I will just admit it is beyond my ability to cross safely on the fly and not attempt it again. For what the hospital bill on this one is going to cost I could have built an optional bridge there and named it after Darwin.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »
It's a delicate balance of weight between the front and rear.  I like to call it floating over the rocks, I use the same technique over very rooted sections of trail.  Line choice is also critical so you are not trying to steer to much.  My 5 year old was able to cross 90% of it on his 20" Giant so I don't think it is too difficult, just requires an uncommon technique for most trails in this area.   
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

VONZIPPER

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
^^^good point.

KyleC

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
Honestly, I can't help but laugh at some of these comments. If that "rock garden" is giving you troubles, its obviously you that needs to improve as a rider before attempting it again. Don't blame obstacles for being "unsafe" You are the one that chose to ride it.

How are we going to improve the riding scene in Indy when everyone cries every time there is a somewhat technical obstacle or a jump. Like someone else said, have you been to a skatepark? the city will allow fun stuff on our trails if there is a legitimate demand for them.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
Who ever can't handle this tiny little rock garden. You should stay away from Obannon vbr Nebo versailes parts of bcsp and probably anything that's not the monon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

VONZIPPER

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2015, 08:37:03 PM »
Looking forward to meeting you sometime fourshay.

ATimman

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »
Wall rides are great if your experienced enough to take them.
Heres a small clip of me hitting one of them.

2018 Yeti SB6 Proven Here

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links