//Trail Status mouse over Java // Access Roads....

Author Topic: Access Roads....  (Read 2505 times)

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
Access Roads....
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
First time riding SWW since the new trails opened up going south.  They end at a dirt access road.  Are those roads ok to ride on or ????
We talked to some runners that were coming out of that area but they weren't sure so we turned around.
Any future trails planned for that area?
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
Re: Access Roads....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 09:55:21 PM »
I always turn around there, partly because it's flat, partly because it's often puddled and blocked in two directions, and for awhile the path straight ahead was blocked with a tree but that seems to be a non-issue now. I also feel a bit of an obligation to not ride in seemingly unapproved areas to avoid encouraging others to ride there. Too much traffic and things may develop that aren't on anyone's radar as they should be.

I thought I remember Paul mentioned the secluded pond (Cotton Wood Lake?) back there which I think has a walking path worn in through foot traffic may get the multi-use treatment in the future. I don't recall any timeline, and we all know a lot can change once the approval, funds, and time become available to do any work. I'm not holding my breath nor anyone to any statement- whatever happens will he when the time comes.

But like you, I am a bit curious as well.

~Yet another Dave

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:12:50 AM »
I ride the access roads occasionally. They dead end in a few places, and they're not especially interesting to ride, but they lead to some nice spots along the water. Been thinking about packing a fishing rod on a ride sometime this summer. I don't think there's anything wrong with riding them. If anything, going out there can help keep the people who do go out there on better behavior. There's a problem with trash dumping out there. And other things.

My wife and I encountered a middle-aged couple doing the nasty where one of the access roads crosses a drainage from one of the ponds. I was concentrated on crossing on some rocks when the water was high a few weeks ago, and she saw them quickly pulling up their pants. Sigh...it's a public park, not your secret spot in the woods.

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 02:45:41 PM »
I ride the access roads occasionally. They dead end in a few places, and they're not especially interesting to ride, but they lead to some nice spots along the water. Been thinking about packing a fishing rod on a ride sometime this summer. I don't think there's anything wrong with riding them. If anything, going out there can help keep the people who do go out there on better behavior. There's a problem with trash dumping out there. And other things.

My wife and I encountered a middle-aged couple doing the nasty where one of the access roads crosses a drainage from one of the ponds. I was concentrated on crossing on some rocks when the water was high a few weeks ago, and she saw them quickly pulling up their pants. Sigh...it's a public park, not your secret spot in the woods.

So THAT's what the mattress is back there for!?!? Hmmmm.....YUCK! Maybe someone should call "Cheaters"....something seems fishy!   :-[
Fat Bikes Matter!

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:06:06 PM »
AFAIK it is OK to ride back there. It is not the most inspiring ride, but it adds some time and length.  There is a grassy doubletrack loop that runs around an old abandoned shelter that is getting overgrown.  One day, we could ride back there with the BOB and some loppers to clear out some of the low hanging branches and stuff encroaching the loop.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links