//Trail Status mouse over Java // Eagle Scout project to improve a trail need suggestions

Poll

Why don't you ride Avon Anymore?

Lack of trail maintance?
13 (25.5%)
Trails not enough obsticals
5 (9.8%)
trail don't flow anymore
11 (21.6%)
are you in favor of an expansion of a 2 mile loop on other side of bridge
8 (15.7%)
go to Eagle Scout service project for ideas
0 (0%)
did you know there are two trails on the other side of pavilion lake
0 (0%)
yes
5 (9.8%)
no
5 (9.8%)
Would you be interested in a Avon MTB club. to maintain trails and train together
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Eagle Scout project to improve a trail need suggestions  (Read 6349 times)

Revsracing

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Eagle Scout project to improve a trail need suggestions
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:39 PM »
My son is in process of planning his Eagle Scout project.  He rides trails almost daily and his plan for a project is to overhaul one of the trails.
shut off rogue trails that cross and plant native plants to define the trail.

Which trail at Avon do you want to see worked on the most (current marked trails)? and ideas?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:29:53 PM by Revsracing »

indyshred

• View Profile
Re: Eagle Scout project coming need some input
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:31 AM »
Anything that is done to Avon will be helpful.

fezick

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »
Poplar pass is by far the worst. Lots of erosion damage. The connector trail the runs south of the bridge and the new trail on the south side of the park also need log clearing work done.

kaepos

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
Just chiming in. If there's a need to help out, let me know. I'm closer to SWW but have been looking for more trails to ride and I have some "testing the water" friends I'd like to introduce to the sport.

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:51 AM »
Many of the lower ones along the creek and across the bridge are also in need of weedeating, as well as the one out by the pavilion.
THANKS!!!
Fat Bikes Matter!

Revsracing

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:38:25 PM by Revsracing »

Revsracing

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Eagle Scout project to improve a trail need suggestions
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:35:14 PM »
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:39:32 PM by Revsracing »

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »
I still ride it some, it is a mile from my house so I don't have to drive there.  I ran trail maintenance for a couple of years following Brian B.  When we added kids three and four it became tough to get out there much.  The issue for me was always getting any other help out there.  I would post a work day two weeks in advance and then be the only one.  I would be up for any help we can get out here as my intention is to up the miles that I ride there substantially now that my boys are out of the infant stage (still age 1-7).  There is a partial loop done in the back and we have always talked of using the hilly side by the houses to complete the loop.  As some have stated anything done will help.  Have there been any talks with the new management? If not I would be willing to help and see what we can get done.  Just let me know what we need to do!!!

Warburrito

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
    • Warburrito on Pinkbike
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 04:18:19 PM »
I used to ride there like others and would again if there were more miles of trails to ride.  More obstacles / jumps would also be a nice bonus but NOT a requirement for me.  I just can't seem to ride there long or far enough to get a good workout in without doubling and tripling back over the same trails.  I admit that once they paved some of the trails along the stream I didn't bother riding out by the lake since I had already seen that large areas had eroded away.  I didn't know trails still existed out that way.  I could help with occasional work too, but I have 3 children now and my time is mostly all used up.  I almost only ride now before work or before the kids wake up on the weekends.

Revsracing

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 09:22:25 PM »
http://www.gofundme.com/a453j7ng

starting to raise funds, got a verbal ok today.  going to write proposal up and present in next week 
i will walking trail taking pictures and begin marking it.  park staff is going to bush hog it to make preparation easier.

still looking for input and help down the line.

[/siz
[/color]

I ride trails several times a week so I hope to see you there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:30:20 PM by Revsracing »

fezick

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »
How did the proposal go?

Revsracing

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »

Max has talked with the park they are in favor of idea of expanding trail.  He still needs to put it in a final proposal for Scouts and the park required.  with school starting up, Swimming and MTB ending he has had to put it on back burner, but project will be moving ahead.

sksdviuasf

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
I am new to mountain biking. I have only ridden a couple of times before at Explore Brown County and don't own a bike right now but I live in the Avon and might be willing to give a helping hand if needed. Just let me know. It would be good to network a little bit. ;) Hopefully I'll get a bike sometime in the next 6 months.

sksdviuasf

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »
Revsracing,
Just something that has been on my mind the past few days. Your son may be able to approach some local businesses for help with the project either through direct funds or volunteer support. I work for Duke Energy right there in Plainfield. Duke is really big on volunteering and donating in the community. April this year we did a big event cleaning up Sodalis Park for Earth Day. We had probably 50-75 people show up for that event. If he has his ducks in a row he may be able to approach them for support. I know they have a community outreach department or something like that. It may require having to have the Washington Township Park organization approach them instead of your son himself. I'm not making any promises since I don't really know how they make the decisions on what they will support but it may be worth a try. Spring would be a good time for it.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links