//Trail Status mouse over Java // NO UNAUTHORIZED FEATURES

Author Topic: NO UNAUTHORIZED FEATURES  (Read 1950 times)

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
NO UNAUTHORIZED FEATURES
« on: January 07, 2015, 03:52:39 PM »
Continued construction of unauthorized technical features jeopardizes the existence of the entire Skills Area.

The latest jump construction was dangerous and obviously the work of more than one person. If you want to get involved, do so through channels (post up here or PM me) or the properly constructed Black Diamond features will disappear.

Spread the word.

adamrodkey

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: NO UNAUTHORIZED FEATURES
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 11:27:04 AM »
Curious on that note:
up in the N/W corner there's a bridge, maybe 7-8' long that is listed as "black" and the trail around the bridge is listed "blue." Is there something I'm missing as to why that bridge is black?
JFR!

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
Good question, Adam. I know it seems odd. It's a literal reading of IMBA spec and has to do with its height. I know it's easy to ride, but the consequences of falling are higher.

adamrodkey

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
Ahhh. I gotcha.
JFR!

Extra

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
Is the jump being talked about the one at the bottom with what seemed to be just a skinny piece of ply wood up the long and on the other side another for the landing? I remember seeing it the last time I went in November and thinking it was very odd and looked unsafe, I didn't even think of it being unauthorized but I can definitely see it now. glad you took it down.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:07 AM »
Yes. Although it wasn't plywood. There is a cache of red oak slab lumber that I milled from a downed tree near the rock garden. These are large, heavy planks, and the limestone blocks that were used are likewise difficult to move. It took a couple of people to set it up.

In any case, please keep an eye out for this kind of stuff and post up if you see something being built that doesn't look official. (And those lumber caches are for boardwalks, not technical features.)

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links