//Trail Status mouse over Java // Who is going to Iceman?

Author Topic: Who is going to Iceman?  (Read 3262 times)

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Who is going to Iceman?
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
I know I need to make up for my sub par performance last year. I was suprisingly slower on my hardtail last year than the previous two years on my FS. trying to decide what to run this year.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Who is going to Iceman?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »
I'll be there!  Love heading up to TC for a fun capper to the race season.  I think I've finally made it into the top 8-9 waves and I'm looking forward to not standing on the side of the trail watching the fast roadies try to figure out singletrack.  I would guess I've lost a minimum of 4-5 minutes at every Iceman I've raced in because of this. 

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:51:42 AM »
I have been lucky to be in the first couple of waves the last few years and not been held up as I have very much been with my peers on the singletrack.
A funny story, a couple of years ago, I went up with Ben Weaver, who is one of the fastest roadies in Indiana, riding for the SRAM/Zipp team. He got an entry from SRAM. I told him to make sure that they get him seeded in the first few wave, but he never checked. He was seeded in the 24th wave just by his age.  He said he was stopped so many times just holding a tree waiting for people to walk thorugh the singletrack. He literally passed 2000 riders on the fireroad sections and only finished 8 minutes behind me (The only time I have ever beaten Ben)
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:41:35 AM »
I'm heading up for the fourth time this year.  Last year the singletrack was frustratingly slow (even starting from wave 12), so I would pass where I could, use the forced slow pace to recover, then use my roadie skills once it opened up to make some progress at my pace.  Last year was my fastest time by 6 or so minutes, but the conditions last year were superb.  It was a very fast course to begin with which probably flattered my time a bit.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
Just a heads up for those heading to Iceman.  I guess there's road construction on M72 (the road between Kalkaska and the resort) that has been causing some backups.  You may want to head into TC then out to the resort and plan accordingly for race morning. 

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:45:50 AM »
Wave assignments are now posted on the I ce Society website, although they have a funky way of finding it. It took me a while. 

4mula1

• View Profile
Re: Who survived Iceman?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 09:24:44 AM »
That was definitely one to remember!

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »
It was interesting to say the least ;D   I'm guessing a new drivetrain is in order for my bike.  My front brakes were gone by mile 10 and the rears were getting close to gone by the end of the race.  Even did the old shoe on the tire trick to slow myself down a couple of times.  As bad as the race conditions were, I still can't wait for next years event! 

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
I put a new drivetrain on my bike about a month ago.  A new chain might be in short order after Saturday.

My brakes were surprisingly good throughout the race, except for the drag of sand getting caught in them.  I used some of the long downhills to clean them out by gently applying the brakes for about 5 seconds.

I went without shoe covers just because water has always wicked into them and I've still ended up with wet feet.  My feet were absolutely numb at the finish.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
It was definitely an adventure. At the start is was 36deg, raining with a bit of slush in it, and windy. My time was 21 minutes slower than last year, but I finished 90 places better.  I also burned through my front brakes about 2/3 of the way through the race and my rears barely made it to the finish.  I have a complete teardown of my bike on the agenda. It was making alot of bad noises at the end of the race.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »
My time was 18 minutes slower than last year, but my finishing position was over 350+ better!  Some of that had to do with finally being in a good start wave and also I only had to dismount once to keep the bike going.  My bike was definitely making noises that I've never heard before, kind of like a hippo in heat type of sound. 

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »
Sounds like a fun race and chance to get a little muddy.

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
I ended up finishing 241 places better this year. Maybe all of the slop out there wasn't so bad...

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links