//Trail Status mouse over Java // West 2nd Street Bikepath

Author Topic: West 2nd Street Bikepath  (Read 1933 times)

jimmyschweb

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
West 2nd Street Bikepath
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
The Bloomington Bicycle Club has been promoting a bicycle/pedestrian bridge over IN37(I69) for the past ten years and are seriously lobbying for it to city,county,and state officials.  Amazing that this was not included in section 5 planning, but I think it had a lot to do with the city-state feud.  Last March or April, Tom Micuda, Bloomington City Planning, told everyone at our lobbying roundtable that a bicycle path on the north side of W Second Street was to be started in 2015.  I have heard nothing of this in the local paper.  The BBC then desires a connector path from Twin-Lakes to the bridge site or bike lanes from 2nd St to Basswood.  This 2nd Street bike path could also connect IU and downtown to Wapahani more easily.

Kevin M: Have you heard anything on this?

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: West 2nd Street Bikepath
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »
No, I haven't heard anything specifically about the Bloomfield Rd sidepath, although I did hear that the Twin Lakes intersection redesign was on hold until the Planning-Engineering merger and related hiring was finalized. The last I saw in the HTO, the dept is still short a key engineer.

I fully support the bridge, of course. And I've looked at the Twin Lakes campus and Muller Park for a fitness loop that could also serve as a natural surface connector from the apartments down to Bloomfield by the Rec Center.

I'm sure improvements are coming in time.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »
The bike-friendly folks at Open Streets Bloomington just drew my attention to an upcoming public open house about I-69 Sect. 5. Here's the notice posted in the HT Classifieds:

"The I-69 Development Partners (I-69 DP) will hold a Public Open House regarding the new I-69 Section 5 construction in Monroe and Morgan Counties. The open house will be held on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Holiday Inn, 1710 Kinser Pike in Bloomington, Indiana. The purpose of this open house is to update the community as we enter the construction phase of I-69 Section 5. The open house will feature various project maps/displays and multiple information stations where I-69 Development Partners project representatives will be available to explain project details and talk with project stakeholders individually in an informal setting. Attendees will also have the opportunity to vote on aesthetic treatment alternatives. There will be no formal presentation."

According to the Open Streets FB post, project representatives are seeking comment on bike and ped paths (among other things).

Jim, will the BBC be sending reps to this open house?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:21:04 AM by Kevin M »

bigredballoons

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »
kevin. I am at a bbc meeting and the answer per Jim to your question is yes we will be  a representative to this meeting

Warren 

jimmyschweb

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »
I got a reply for Tom Micuda, City Plannning Dept, and he says that the bike path on 2nd St is indeed still in the works for 2015. Now all we need is Basswood to have bike lanes.  So, we need this push from all in Bloomington.  Monroe County has agreed in spirit of BBC's plans for connectivity to the bridge site.  County Planning Department has suggested pursuing a path between Coca-Cola and Author House.  We would then have connectivity for INDOT to proceed.

http://bloomingtonbicycleclub.org/SR37Bridge/bridge.html

Will the traffic light at Twin Lakes include a left turn lane and/or signal onto Weimer Rd?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:27:48 AM by Kevin M »

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 11:32:07 AM »
I'll be at the I-69 Open House, Jim. Please let us know what else we can do to make the bridge happen.

All I know about the intersection is that the roundabout was scrapped for a signalized intersection. Not sure of the specifics, and with the merger, maybe there will be further changes.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links