//Trail Status mouse over Java // Schooner Musings

Author Topic: Schooner Musings  (Read 4431 times)

allmountin

• View Profile
Schooner Musings
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:27:50 AM »
It had been roughly two years since I'd been to BCSP, that is until this evening.  I had vowed to never ride Schooner again when the rocks were holding moisture, and today I broke that promise.  This time around went much better, and I was able to ride all but a few items, though cleaning some items took multiple attempts. 

I do have a question regarding the feasibility of riding a couple items going the HP --->>> Limekiln direction.  Do there exist riders who can clean everything this way?  The two spots that stood out were the sustained uphill stair steps/rock garden, maybe 2/3 the way up.  The step ups look doable at the start, but get pretty tough at the top.  The other being the uphill rock garden at the re-entry to Walnut.  I don't think I could ride either of these on my best day.  Are these meant to be ridden, or HAB? 

The nasty rock garden/left turn under a leaner/step up/switchback/controlled falling over rocks/roots(not far from the HP side entry) was the other item that gave me fits.  I could ride the first part and get around the leaning sapling, but couldn't hit the exit line I needed going into the wet step up over the rock, before the switch descent.  I cleaned each part separately, but couldn't make the transition dab-free.   >:(

As a rider who seeks out the toughest double blacks around, and practices big boulder riding literally every ride, I half expected to come back and breeze through it this time.  I left physically and mentally wrecked, and a bit humbled yet again.  Something about the combination of elements.  Rock gardens in tight benches and switches, or in gulleys, make for a uniquely challenging trail.  Kudos to the builders for creating an arse kicking masterpiece.   :)

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Schooner Musings
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:50:12 AM »
There do exist riders that can clean those sections that gave you grief. It should be noted they do it on rigid single speeds, so you may not be using the best tool for the job.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:34:54 PM »
Sty, I ride with all the riders who  Schooner most often and I have never seen anyone who has cleaned  everything on Schooner.  I have ridden down the nasty left hander, but set up higher up the hill for stright shot down, as has GnawBone Lefty on his Downhill bike and Matt Battin.  I have never seen any one make the left hander and go down.

On the stairstep up. I have made it up to the last big step up and Matt Battin has made it up to the corner. It will take someone with some very good trials skills to make it all the way up. Not saying it hasn't been done, but I haven't heard of anyone making those two sections.

I would love go go out with someone and see them do it.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Ed Strobel

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »
When I ride that trail the Schooner Sasquatch sneaks up and yanks my bike out from underneath me.

jerrywr

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:18:41 AM »
someone like jeff lenosky would do it. those trials riders have many talents and are 75% crazy.

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
I should have clarified.  I know there are a few riders with names like Lenosky, Akrigg, and Macaskill that could clean darn near anything on a bike.  I can live with the knowledge that I'll never attain their level.  But if it was designed to be ridden, and if there are local riders who can do it, then it becomes something that I have to clean.  It will haunt me until I can. 

On the nasty left hand switch:  I'm not sure if the leaning sapling is meant to be there; it looks like it got tipped by the uprooted tree.  It definitely ups the difficulty level.  Starting from just after the sapling, I was able to make the step up, left hand turn, and rocky/rooted steep that follows, cleanly.  I have goat pro footage of that much, but it's POV.  Next time up, I'll make a point of getting a good 3rd person shot and cleaning that whole switchback area in one run. 

jerrywr

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
never say never brother, keep riding and having fun!

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »

Schooner made easy

David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:43:12 PM »
Wow.  Brilliant.  Love the motionless track stand to catch his breath.  Amazing skills. 

I shouldn't even post this.  Can't follow that.  I did a POV cut up of my ride.

I'm sure it's nothing y'all haven't seen.  It's all from the first half, as I was riding in the fading light before dusk.  For a silly little local trail report. 

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:31:00 PM by tony »

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 02:47:25 PM »
Wow.  Brilliant.  Love the motionless track stand to catch his breath.  Amazing skills. 

I'm sure it's nothing y'all haven't seen.  It's all from the first half, as I was riding in the fading light before dusk.  For a silly little local trail report.

Nice riding!  What bike were you riding?
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »
Thanks.  I'm on a DB Mason- 140mm AM hardtail.  Fun bike.  :D

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
Fat Bikes Matter!

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
Well done!

Worth every bit of 7:17 on Vimeo.  :D

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »

Nice! You rode alot of chunky stuff.

I've cleared a decent amount out there, but lots that I walk or dab or drag my bike over ;)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links