//Trail Status mouse over Java // Tire spikes at Wapehani

Author Topic: Tire spikes at Wapehani  (Read 2101 times)

vaedwards

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Tire spikes at Wapehani
« on: October 01, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
I ran over a very well concealed and carefully made tire spike a few weeks ago while riding at Wapehani. Has anyone else had this issue? Do we know whether someone is angry with the MTB's at the park?

The spike was at the top of the climb that starts at the lake and ends at the log run. It was right before the log run buried under some leaves. It was a leather belt with about 50 brad nails in it, spanning the width of the whole trail. I have a photo, but couldn't figure out how to attach it here.

On the plus side, my Stan's did it's job and I enjoyed another hour of riding, once I got over my initial anger at the vandals.

If you are riding there with tubes, be sure to have 2 spares with you, and some patches plus a pump. Although it's not a big park, so walking out wouldn't be so bad.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: Tire spikes at Wapehani
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »
You cannot post photos, only link then from a photo sharing site (Photobucket, Flicker, etc.)

Please forward your photos and a report to the Bloomington Parks Department and Police Department.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

nelliedawg82

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 02:40:25 PM »
not to be contrary...but You can post photos if you post from tapatalk

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »
Posting on the HMBA forum weeks after such an event is not helpful.  You must report anything like this to the park or the police immediately.  If you are not willing to take time out of your ride to protect your fellow riders, how can you expect anyone else to take the time to protect you.  The Park and Police can not help if they do not know about these things.

Paul
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Allen Edwards

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
This is the first I've heard of this incident.  Paul is right, contact the Parks Dept. and the Bloomington Police immediately if you see anything like this again.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:24:18 AM »
Here is the Parks homepage. The main contact info that you need is:

812-349-3700 and parks@bloomington.in.gov

I've sent you my contact info. I work for the Parks Dept and oversee Wapehani.
I would appreciate a copy of the photo. What happened to the belt and spikes? Did you remove them?

From your description, I can't really tell where this happened. Can you provide other landmarks and orient your description relative to the lake (north side, south side, west side, private property to the east?) Thanks.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links