//Trail Status mouse over Java // Basic etiquette

Author Topic: Basic etiquette  (Read 7096 times)

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Basic etiquette
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »
Riders yield to hikers, runners and the rider who is climbing. No one is exempt from this rule.  If you think that you are exempt, you are wrong.  That is all. 
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Basic etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
Testify, David!

john7722

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:09:51 PM »
Last weekend was awful!!!  in terms of trail etiquette.  NO ONE!!! yielded when we were climbing. when I say NO ONE! I mean NO ONE!!!  A woman from Idaho and myself were climbing up the rockiest section of Walnut, when a group of 5 guys came blasting down. they did not give way and came within a hair of a head on as did the woman with another one of the riders in the group. they scolded US for not giving them the downhill right of way. This was just one of many encounters that weekend.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »
I had that happen while back when I was climbing hp. Guy didn't yield and when he clipped my bar he yelled at me and then we had a colorful exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Mattntp

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
I was down today and had the same experience. It was pretty busy and there were more than a few people not yielding to climbers, it was very frustrating. I got clipped by a guy while climbing on green valley, didn't go down but we had some words. Some may not have known better, but there were others who definitely did.  >:(

Ed Strobel

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
I also have some that I have come on through as I move over some to share the trail. And they take the middle instead of moving to the opposite side. Now I assume they won't yield in any way so I take the center to uphill part of the trail when passing. If you are going to be a jerk and clip me, I am not the one going over the edge.

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 11:48:20 PM »
Over labor day, I was down at bcsp, and rode up from the bottom, and back down.  On the way back, I was on tired legs, really spinning out any inclines, and shredding the descents.  A pair of seasoned riders, who should know better, were inching up on the climbs, and I'd gap them a bit going down.  We did this for several cycles and were maybe a half mile from the parking area by the pavilion.  Ahead was a cute girl, climbing solo, in jean shorts, on a next.  A rare bird, and likely new to the sport.  I interrupt my shred, pull off, and offer her the trail.  She hesitates, points up trail, and says, "There are a bunch of people coming."

In fact, it was just these two clowns, blasting through past a yielding descender and a now stopped climber.  I apologized to her, though I was not in the wrong, and continued on my way.  Her smile and thanks brightened my day, but surely encounters like this can't be welcoming to newer riders. 

I passed another female rider 30 seconds later, yielding again.  Her response made it clear that those jackwagons had given her the same treatment. 

These guys were parked right by me.  They had their lady friends waiting to pick them up after shuttling to the top.  Clearly locals, and clearly had no regard for anyone's ride but their own.  Shameful. 

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »
Over labor day, I was down at bcsp.
I think I see your problem......

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
It really wasn't bad though.  A couple passes per loop maybe. 

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
Yielding to climbers is bad every time I am there. If they don't yield, I just stand in front of them and let them hit me or walk their bike uncomfortably around me. And as sad as it is, 3/4th of the time these are the guys in shop jerseys.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 03:49:33 PM »
... And as sad as it is, 3/4th of the time these are the guys in shop jerseys.

My impression is that this type of rider thinks they have the skill to ride around others without anyone stopping. What they don't seem to understand, or more likely don't care about, is that many of the other riders aren't at all comfortable with this. A$$ hats is all they are.

Allen Edwards

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 05:40:14 PM »
A$$ hats, indeed.

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 06:31:32 AM »
As mountain biking gets more popular, we are seeing a larger sample of our general society on the trails. With that comes folks who are new (and just don't know the rules/etiquette), but also those who just don't give a rat's red a$$ about anyone other than themselves. I'm afraid it's just the natural outcome of this growing sport.  All we can do is try to continue to be good ambassadors for the sport, and try to continue to educate. The fact is though, there will always be jerks on the trail. It's best not the let them ruin our day (or at least try not to).

Seth Hildebrand

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
A few things come to mind for me:

1) I've been riding for a number of years and I'm not even clear on what the "rules" are. Perhaps someone could point us toward a site, or post a very concise example of that here or on the home page of this site.

2) How about making the trail direction one-way at all parks going forward. With the growing traffic it sounds like it might be time to consider that now.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 09:45:08 AM »
IMBA's list https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail which is what I have seen pretty much everywhere I have ridden.   Pretty much all common sense rules.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links