//Trail Status mouse over Java // Basic etiquette

Author Topic: Basic etiquette  (Read 8221 times)

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Basic etiquette
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »
2) How about making the trail direction one-way at all parks going forward. With the growing traffic it sounds like it might be time to consider that now.

One way = half as many trails to ride.  The trails in BCSP were designed to be ridden both ways and provide a unique experience ridden in each direction.  Why limit the direction when there really are only a handful of days in which the traffic is as heavy as it was last Saturday.  Think about it a perfect late September weekend day in which the trails were 100% dry and ride-able.  If you really want to get out there and hammer out a bunch of fast miles without having to be annoyed by other more leisurely trail users then think about when you choose to ride.  Early or late in the day significantly reduces traffic, or if your schedule allows ride the weekdays.   Other wise just suck it up and be nice.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »
... And as sad as it is, 3/4th of the time these are the guys in shop jerseys.

My impression is that this type of rider thinks they have the skill to ride around others without anyone stopping. What they don't seem to understand, or more likely don't care about, is that many of the other riders aren't at all comfortable with this.

Exactly.
I've seen it too many times.
For many new riders, just being out on the singletrack is a big experience....then you guy these riders that can't take 10 seconds out of their day to stop and pass/yield safely. It's pretty sad really.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »
... And as sad as it is, 3/4th of the time these are the guys in shop jerseys.

My impression is that this type of rider thinks they have the skill to ride around others without anyone stopping. What they don't seem to understand, or more likely don't care about, is that many of the other riders aren't at all comfortable with this.

Exactly.
I've seen it too many times.
For many new riders, just being out on the singletrack is a big experience....then you guy these riders that can't take 10 seconds out of their day to stop and pass/yield safely. It's pretty sad really.

Sums up why my 13 year old son and wife do not like riding on the trails with me.  Every time I invite them they say we just get in the way of the other riders.  My response is we ride nort tower and green valley beginners are expected you will be ok, then some goof proves me wrong.

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
I think I literally ran into the same 5 guys climbing out Green Valley toward Aynes. It was Saturday around 11am.  The first flew by and the second ran into me causing me to endo. I completely lost it on them, it was as close to blows as I've been in a long time.  I wouldn't let them pass.  They finally admitted they were wrong and said they didn't see me even though the trail is wide open there.

Saturday, I had several others stop while descending as did I.  The fact is that from my experience, the riders that are less likely to stop and follow trail rules are ones that think they are on some local no big deal race team as opposed to the equally fast guys riding because they like riding. 

Mike

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
Sorry for posting again but I completely disagree with the opinion that new riders are the ones who are the offenders.  Of course not always, but way more often than not, it's riders with shop jerseys.  I love to ride fast (and passing 'team' riders whenever possible  ;) ) but always try to be conscious of other riders, engage them and follow the trail rules especially when descending. Due to sight angles, sometimes a mistake can be made but the overt disregard for other riders seems to be heavily weighted to those who think they are some sort of semi pro rider.

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »
Sunday 11am

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 06:17:55 AM »
I know for me I've ridden bcsp enough that I know where the blind corners are on the decents.  So when I get close to those places I back off just in case. When I do run up on a climber unexpectedly I immediate appoligoze for my mistake. And try to move out of their way so they can keep moving. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
Being a local BCSP rider who most often wears a shop jersey, I would publicly call out the name of the shop (even if it my own shop) as the most effective way to facilitate change in the behavior.  No shop owner wants to get a bad name and a talk to their riders from them or teammates is more likely to have a bigger impact.   When you advertise for a shop by wearing their jersey, there is a certain expectation of conduct.
Of course, most often, anyone can go out and buy a shops jersey, but calling the shop out is a positive thing in my mind. I say this knowing that my shop is probably the most common jersey out at BCSP, so I am hoping it is not us  ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:47:07 AM by Fett »
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
I consider cutting my speed to barely above walking pace and moving as far to the side as possible 'yielding'. Most of my encounters have been the opposite of what's discussed here, ie: the climber pulls off and stops. This leads me to believe they don't consider my actions  'yielding'. Thoughts?

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »
Syt, Most often my yielding is exactly as you describe, slowing down to almost walking pace and getting over as far as possible, giving clear instruction of my intent. Now, if the trail is so narrow that parties cannot pass cleanly, I get off and walk.
You are yielding properly. Yielding does not require a dismount if parties can pass safely.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »
I consider cutting my speed to barely above walking pace and moving as far to the side as possible 'yielding'. Most of my encounters have been the opposite of what's discussed here, ie: the climber pulls off and stops. This leads me to believe they don't consider my actions  'yielding'. Thoughts?

I think that if the climber is already pulled off before I get there, I slow down and go around.  A lot of those are people that are taking a break.

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 10:50:40 AM »
Agreed that etiquette depends on the situation.  I always slow down when approaching climbers and, if they are stopped, I roll by but always thank them and wish them a good ride.  When climbing, I always give room if available to descenders but admittedly do not like to stop. 

If the riders are skilled enough to bomb down the trail, they should be skilled enough to ride the edge of it.  Despite earlier posts, my experience has been that most riders are great and friendly regardless of their skill level or what they wear. 

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »
Why ride the same old places?  Try riding some other places less frequented by most people.  There are plenty of them.  But bad etiquette is bad etiquette.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 05:44:58 AM »

Why ride the same old places?  Try riding some other places less frequented by most people.  There are plenty of them.  But bad etiquette is bad etiquette.
you make a good point. I've never had this problem when I've been to gnaw bone camp vbr versailes or wapahani

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

mbeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 11:57:28 PM »

I agree, I don't ride BCSP on weekends.  To me it gets to busy.  I ride at places like French Lick, or Muscatatuck. 
08 Santa Cruz Superlight
08 Specialized Rock Hopper custom

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links