//Trail Status mouse over Java // ft ben trail expansion

Author Topic: ft ben trail expansion  (Read 6643 times)

psladinski

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
ft ben trail expansion
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »
I see a while back someone asked about more mtb trails ...I believe the answer was that an expansion was not very likely....but it wasn't clear to me exactly why not? ?   Also you guys that have been riding a while remember riding ft ben back in the day ...when it wasn't quite legal .   What happened to the old trails ? Some of the best and biggest stuff  you had to cross a road and access around and old forest road gate ...why no access to these areas?

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: ft ben trail expansion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
Large areas around Lawrence Creek have been designated Nature Preserve since LC was built.  Most of the eastern portion of the park is also designated as a Nature Preserve.  Getting more trail built in there is unlikely.  There is a small segment of LC that has been held up for awhile because of a dispute with an adjacent landowner.  That dispute has been resolved and that section will be getting a couple of bridges to get it finished off.  It is a short section of trail, though. 

The horse barn uses its own trails so don't expect us to start sharing trails with them.  Fact is, the trails are packed into Ft Ben about as much as they are going to be.  Many of the old fire roads have been closed off by the park.

The trail is what it is for the most part.

MikeHufhand

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »
Never say never.

We have some things going for us, and we have some things going against us.  And that's always been the case.

Two things are certain: The mountain bike trails at FH are a huge success.  And secondly, 8 miles of purpose built trails for 1.5 million people in woefully inadequate.

nelliedawg82

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »
yay! Mike!!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:50:17 PM »
true, never say never. 

but also let's not get too excited that something will happen soon.  we might get an unexpected surprise, or we might have to wait some years for permission to expand.

nelliedawg82

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
I was searching around on the interweb for a map of the horse trails at fort ben, and correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a horse trail in the center of the LC trail? Kinda looked like an IMBA staked trail system.  http://www.indianatrails.com/content/fort-harrison-state-park-trails

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
You are wrong.

The horse trail is south of LC.

If you are seeing horses on the LC trail, please report them to the staff at the guard shack.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

nelliedawg82

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »
So...I haven't seen horses on the LC trail, but what I was asking is the map in the link I have in my post inaccurate, it looks like the date is somewhere in 2010.  A staked trail inside of the LC trail seems to me the obvious choice for expansion to the bike trails at ft ben.  The link just looks like there is already a horse trail there?

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
NO, the horse trail in the link is accurate. It is south of the Lawrence creek multi-use trail.  The Lawrence Creek trail shown  in the linked map is inaccurate.   The area inside of the current Lawrence Creek trail is currently off limits for new trail construction. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:06:25 PM by David Kuehnen »
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

nelliedawg82

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
ok got it.

tomc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 03:46:15 PM »
There's an unused section of park property that I've always wondered about. It is north of the dogleg in Lee Rd after that downhill and as far as I know nothing goes on there. But it's a pretty big section of property. I do ride some pretty unkept trails over at a church property that is just north of the Ft Harrison property that I'm talking about. I can see that there are ridges and a small valley and a creek running through. Looks like prime area for some trails if ever the time came. Anybody know the status of this area or where I'm talking about?? I'm assuming it is a protected natural  area but I do see hunters from time to time over in that area. Every time I'm over there I want to go explore it but I heed the signage and keep out. But I bet you could fit maybe 4-5 miles of trail there.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 04:00:49 PM »
I believe that area was discussed but it's status as a Nature Preserve prevents us from building permanent trails there.  There are  hunts throughout the park to keep the deer population in check that are carefully controlled by the DNR.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »
Trail expansion at Fort Ben as well as most other parks requires a lot of work over a long period of time.

But efforts to get more trails can be hurt rather quickly.  Riding in areas of Fort Harrison outside of the official mountain bike trails would be detrimental to efforts to build more trails.

Please do not mountain bike in any area of the park other than the 3 official mtb trails.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »
If you want more trails, please make the effort to support the Outdoor experience this weekend.  All of the DNR will be there and it is important for them to see strong volunteer support from HMBA.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

zzSQL

• Training wheels on
  • My personal text goes here. yay!
    • View Profile
    • Joint Forces Command
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 04:21:48 PM »
What's the word on more trails at FT Ben?

Looks like a lot of empty land up the hill from Lawrence Creek

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links