//Trail Status mouse over Java // Building new trails at FL

Author Topic: Building new trails at FL  (Read 4385 times)

ambwinin

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Building new trails at FL
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
Hello mountain bikers!

I'm so glad I found this forum. Great to see a community of bikers in the area.

I recently started a FL meetup group for mountain biking on the buffalo trace trail. I would like to eventually hold meetups once a month for trail building. This is what they do for the Louisville Mountain biking meetup. I know the Kentucky mountain biking association sponsors them. Could anyone point me in the right direction of both? ...getting sponsored and building the trails?

Thanks for any guidance!
Amber :)

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Building new trails at FL
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
The two loops at FL are on resort property, I doubt that trail building by mtbers would be allowed. I do know that some of the locals help the resort crews maintain it. FWIW, I've recently spoke with the individual responsible for the design/build of the current trails and he stated that the earlier postponed expansion of the trails is not off the table and still expected to occur.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:51:29 PM by Syt »

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »
That is interesting Syt. Did the designer give a time frame? I was hearing the same thing last year but I have been out of the loop recently.

I agree with Syt that trail building by MTBr's wouldn't be allowed. Some of the locals help maintain and report trail conditions/ problems to the resort staff and the staff seems to do a decent job of keeping the trails open. There is also a Face Book page for French Lick Resort mountain biking.
Metrology has nothing to do with  weather.

Traci

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA Member and enjoying the ride of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:46 AM »
That is great and are willing to help get people up and riding the trails. Please take a look at the Facebook page and post up any trail riding day's there as well as we have a big following there and we can get the word out pretty fast.

As TY and John mentioned, this is resort property and when doing past maint.sessions, you must follow their guidelines (which I would be happy to share with you) for accomplishing this. The resort crew take care of all of the large tree removals and things that require extra equipment other than basic trail tools which have been supplied from the HMBA for use at this trail. Most like the trail as it is due to it being rugged and different every time you ride, and there has been a little work needed this season due to the work that was done last year after the many rain storms they had.

The designer of the trail has plans to add more trails but this will ulitimatly be up to the resort, as it is a private facility. and
Please PM me if you have any questions or if you cannot find the link to the FB page.

Thanks

Traci
HoosierBiker

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
  Mr. Design/Build did not give a time frame that I recall. It should be noted that I was 4, maybe 5, post trail work day IPA's deep when this conversation took place. Perhaps he elaborated and it was lost in the haze.   ;)

Traci

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:56:43 AM »
yea I spoke with Mr Designer last season when we were having issues on the trail with the wash outs, etc and he said it  he was just trying to coordinate with the resort to get a meeting and with his schedule and theirs never worked out. I would LOVE to see it happen, but not sure if the resort is going to be willing to drop the cash to do this as MTB on the most part do not stay at the resort and are just their for a day trip.
BUT-that is just MY opinion and can be taken with a grain of salt. :)
I know that the current MTB trail is utilized by runners, hikers, resort guest and MTB so it is very popular just not a "money maker"

Traci
HoosierBiker

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
Is there any way we can voice our support of an expanded trail system to the resort? 

Maybe some sponsorship money can be raised from other local businesses?  For example my family has never stayed at the resort however we have stayed at Big Splash Adventure more than once and I'll ride my bike over to enjoy the trail.  I know it may sound a little unorthodox seeing that the trail is on private property but since it is open to the public many local businesses stand to gain exposure from trail users coming in even for a day.

Another point to consider is right now both trails can easily be ridden in a day by a regular mountain biker.  If the trail system were expanded so as most folks (experience or not) would spread the riding over two or more days they would be more inclined to make a weekend or multi-day trip out of it. 
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Traci

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »
I think there is great opportunity to voice our thoughts and ideas to them, and possibly work at getting something in the planning. I agree, this "could" be a MTB destination for people if they choose to add more trails.
I would be happy to speak with some people and put the bug in their ear and see what response I get.
Not sure what the resorts long term plan/goal is, but I will work on finding out and try and report back on here when I do.
Great thoughts and much appreciated....Love to see this become something for people from all over to enjoy...:)
Thanks for the reply
Traci
HoosierBiker

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
I paid a visit here today for my first time.  Great trails.  They were tough, and I loved it.

I told the staff at the checkin that they should add more trails like the ones already out there.  Helping to plant that seed.

If they could hit 20+mi, I think that would be a little more incentive to spend multiple days at the resort.  I'm not sure of the land ownership situation adjacent to the resort property, but there's HNF land nearby.  If the resort/town got behind it, I think a large expansion could be pushed including adjacent property that would really attract folks from far away.  I think it's really an asset they have that you can pretty much get anywhere in town on your bike with all the paths they have.  MTB riders would love riding from the TH to one of the bars or restaurants in town post-ride.

Realistically, the resort would be entirely entitled to charge riders, too.  Look at VBR and Gnaw Bone.  There are small fees there.  I rode at a golf resort in Louisiana with garbage trails and they charged.  If the resort wanted to monetize the trails, they certainly could.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »
I'm sure that many riders, myself included, would gladly pay a small fee to ride especially if it meant a longer more varied trail system.  From a business aspect I wonder what approach would be best, to charge making the trails more private or keep them free and see if you could get sponsorship $.  I know one thing for sure, when mountain bikers travel to ride they spend money.  IMBA research has proven that.  Any way you slice it I will always try to ride FL at least once a year.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links