//Trail Status mouse over Java // MTB vs Soccer........video

Author Topic: MTB vs Soccer........video  (Read 1573 times)

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
MTB vs Soccer........video
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

grayhound

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: MTB vs Soccer........video
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
Good vid! Didn't realize someone had a camera rolling when I went down a couple of weeks ago:-) Highlights the thing that bothers me most watching soccer and more and more in basketball.  Come on guys let's suck it up and act like men! Imagine that happening in the NFL or the NHL?!  Now if I can just get this damn splint off my hand so I can go ride my bikes.  Have a great visit with the guys this week, sorry I'll be missing it! 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:03:31 PM by grayhound »

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: MTB vs Soccer........video
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
I thought the clips used as examples for both "sides" were poorly representative of both sports.

I've personally broken other people's bones in soccer games.  I have yet to break my own bones or anyone else's in either sport.  But then again, I don't ride like the people in those vids.

It also doesn't help that most sports incentivize "diving".  Soccer players figured it out long ago.  Draw the foul (whether it is legit or not) and you get an advantage.  Basketball players have caught on wholesale.  Football players are already doing it.  Wide receivers and DB's.  It will only get worse this year now that the refs are actually enforcing existing contact rules more strictly.  There is less incentive for other players on the field to fake being fouled, just by the nature of the positions those other players play.  It's a team sport thing.  In soccer, it is supposed to be a pretty heavy penalty if you are caught faking a foul.  Problem is, there are so few referees on the field, it is hard to catch.  When 4 refs are watching 24 players, what do you expect?  Basketball gets how many officials?  Now look at how many officials are in the NFL.  Further disincentive to fake it - harder to get away with.  How to consider hockey?  Hockey has a "culture" associated with it, which is counter to the "diving" concept, but the rules certainly would incentivize a dive - if successful, you get your opponent tossed into the box for awhile and you get a numbers advantage.

As for the other side of mt biking, need I bring this one up?

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links