//Trail Status mouse over Java // Enforcement of Dog Leash Rules at Brown County State (and other State Parks)

Author Topic: Enforcement of Dog Leash Rules at Brown County State (and other State Parks)  (Read 11941 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
I have been asked to remind mountain bikers about the requirement for dogs to be on leash at all times in State Parks. 

This includes mountain bikers. 

It is prohibited to have your dog off leash on the mountain bike trails.

I get complaints from mountain bikers about hikers with dogs off of leash.  So it is only fair that mountain bikers be held to the same rules.

From State Park’s point of view there are two issues with dogs off of leash.

1) User conflict. Off leash dogs create user conflict. Even if you dog is well behaved, it is unfair for other park users to have to encounter your off leash dog.  Not all park users are comfortable around off leash dogs, especially those who have dogs with them and are following the leash rules.

2) Of leash dogs negatively impact the wild life. 

Please expect this rule to be enforced at Brown County State Park.

We had an incident this weekend where a group of riders had 3 off leash dogs.  The Assistant Park Manager stopped and reminded them of the leash rules.  He doubted that they were going to follow the park rules so he stopped further up the trail. Not only did they have the dogs off leash, but the Assistant Park Manger could hear them saying derogatory things about him.

Due to their disrespect of park rules and for park staff, conservation officers were called.  Unfortunately they were diverted to an accident and were unable to ticket the riders.  The ticket for dogs off leash is $150.

Do to this incident; it is very likely that Conservation Officers will be out on the trails issuing tickets for dogs off leash.  This applies to all State Parks.  If you see riders with dogs off leash, please let them know that they will be ticketed if found with their dog off leash. 

Of course the most disturbing part of this is the disrespect shown for Park Staff.  The Park staff at Brown County State Park have been very supportive of mountain biking and we expect mountain bikers to be respectful of park staff and follow any instructions they give park users. 

Here are Rules for Pets on State Park Property

PET RULES AT INDIANA STATE PARKS

HELP YOUR PET BE A GOOD GUEST

HIKING TRAILS, PICNIC AREAS, BOAT RAMPS AND CAMPGROUNDS CAN BE BUSY, UNFAMILIAR AND EVEN SOMETIMES OVERWHELMING PLACES FOR DOGS AND OTHER PETS. PLEASE FOLLOW THESE BASIC PROPERTY RULES REGARDING PETS.

THE 6-FOOT LEASH RULE APPLIES TO THE ENTIRE PROPERTY AND TO ALL PETS. THE ONLY TIME YOUR PET MAY BE OFF THE LEASH IS INSIDE YOUR CAMPER, TENT OR VEHICLE. THIS INCLUDES PETS TRAVELING WITH MOUNTAIN BIKERS AND HORSE RIDERS. IF IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO KEEP YOUR PET ON A 6-FOOT LEASH, THE BEST AND SAFEST OPTION IS FOR YOUR PET TO STAY AT HOME. AT RESERVOIRS (PATOKA, BROOKVILLE, CAGLES MILL, CECIL M. HARDEN, SALAMONIE, MISSISSINEWA, MONROE, HARDY) DOGS MAY BE PERMITTED TO BE OFF LEASH WHEN IN LAWFUL PURSUIT OF WILD ANIMALS OR WHEN AUTHORIZED BY A LICENSE FOR FIELD TRIALS OR IN A DESIGNATED TRAINING AREA.

YOUR PET IS A GUEST BUT THE WILDLIFE LIVES HERE. PLEASE RESPECT WILDLIFE AND PLANT LIFE. FOLLOW THE 6-FOOT LEASH RULE TO PROTECT WILDLIFE, OTHER PEOPLE AND YOUR PET.

PLEASE PICK UP AFTER YOUR PET. ANIMAL WASTE CAN CONTAIN PARASITES. THE HIKER BEHIND YOU AND THE CAMPER WHO FOLLOWS YOU AT THE SITE DO NOT WANT TO STEP IN PET WASTE. BUY WASTE BAGS AT YOUR PET STORE OR BRING PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS. IF YOU ARE HIKING, PICK UP THE WASTE AND CARRY IT OUT. WHEN CLEANING YOUR CAMPSITE BEFORE LEAVING, REMOVE ALL PET WASTE AND PLACE THE BAGS IN THE CAMPGROUND DUMPSTER. DOUBLE BAGGING IS HELPFUL.

CAMPGROUND QUIET HOURS (11 P.M. - 7 A.M.) APPLY TO ALL GUESTS, INCLUDING PETS. IF YOUR DOG BARKS EXCESSIVELY AT YOUR CAMPSITE, PARTICULARLY DURING QUIET HOURS, WE MAY ASK THAT YOU TAKE YOUR PET HOME.

PARKS ARE NOT THE PLACE FOR TERRITORIAL PETS. IF YOUR PET IS HIGHLY DOMINANT OR AGGRESSIVE, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR ANIMAL AT HOME IN FAMILIAR TERRITORY.

WHEN YOU GO EXPLORING, PLEASE TAKE YOUR PET WITH YOU. KEEP YOUR PET WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PET TIED UP AT A CAMPSITE OR LOCKED IN A CAR.

PETS, EXCLUDING SERVICE ANIMALS AS DESIGNATED BY INDIANA CODE, ARE PROHIBITED AT:
SWIMMING POOLS
BEACHES (UNLESS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNATED FOR PETS)
RENTED RECREATION BUILDINGS
THE PIONEER VILLAGE AT SPRING MILL STATE PARK
PUBLIC BUILDINGS

BE SURE TO CARRY FRESH, CLEAN WATER FOR YOUR PET AS YOU HIKE OR VISIT OTHER AREAS IN THE PARK.
MAKE SURE YOUR PET'S VACCINATIONS ARE UP-TO-DATE. THIS STATE LAW PROTECTS YOUR PET FROM OTHER PETS (OR WILDLIFE) THAT MAY NOT BE IN PERFECT HEALTH.

A LOCAL KENNEL MAY PROVIDE A GOOD COMPROMISE. IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE OUTDOORS WITH YOUR PET BUT YOUR PET DOESN'T HANDLE THE CAMPGROUND WELL, DAYS IN THE PARK AND NIGHTS IN A KENNEL MIGHT BE AN OPTION. CHECK THE PARK OFFICE OR CAMPGROUND GATE FOR INFORMATION.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

suboptimal

• Training wheels on
  • rolling < optimal
    • View Profile
"I recall an incident 2-3 years ago where a dog was killed by a snake because it wasn't on a leash..."

I have not had any luck keeping my snake on a leash.  It keeps squirming out of the collar.  It has never killed a dog, but it took almost three weeks to digest the neighbor's cat...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:27:09 PM by suboptimal »

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
Well played, suboptimal :))

Sent from my XT555C using Tapatalk 2

David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
"[size=0px]I recall an incident 2-3 years ago where a dog was killed by a snake because it wasn't on a leash..."[/size]

[size=0px]I have not had any luck keeping my snake on a leash.  It keeps squirming out of the collar.  It has never killed a dog, but it took almost three weeks to digest the neighbor's cat...[/size]
Did you use a square knot when you tied your snake to the lease?  Cause I hear a square knot is the best one to use.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:28:46 PM by David Kuehnen »
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
"I recall an incident 2-3 years ago where a dog was killed by a snake because it wasn't on a leash..."

I have not had any luck keeping my snake on a leash.  It keeps squirming out of the collar.  It has never killed a dog, but it took almost three weeks to digest the neighbor's cat...

Where is the +1 button.....awesome.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Mkasner

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
So basically, its only going to cost me possibly $150 each time my dog gets caught being off the leash and chasing behind me.... I think ill take that chance!

Sometimes it isn't possible to leave him at home. When it isn't possible to leave him at home, then what do you do? Leave doggie on the leash and then man and doggie become a riding hazard? Biker holding onto leash, biker from behind startles leashed dog thus taking biker down, followed by the rider behind running over rider in front? I don't know to many hospital bills that are less than $150....

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Who exactly is forcing you to ride with your dog in the state park?
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
So basically, its only going to cost me possibly $150 each time my dog gets caught being off the leash and chasing behind me.... I think ill take that chance!

Sometimes it isn't possible to leave him at home. When it isn't possible to leave him at home, then what do you do? Leave doggie on the leash and then man and doggie become a riding hazard? Biker holding onto leash, biker from behind startles leashed dog thus taking biker down, followed by the rider behind running over rider in front? I don't know to many hospital bills that are less than $150....

it's called friends, family, or boarding.  if you cannot ride without your dog, then do not do so on properties that require dogs to be leashed.

Steve Smith

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile

The last dog vs cyclist case I remember ended up costing the dog owner $165,000.00. So you might want to think about that.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile

Maybe a better way to think of it is if you insist on blatantly breaking the rules of the trail, you might be costing ALL OF US the PRIVELEGE of riding these trails.  I'll be honest, I can't fathom your thought process here.   

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
I'm with otter on this[emoji115]. Don't be the one guy who's screws it all up for the rest of us just because you can't go anywhere with out your pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
Perhaps he's been watching all of those 'epic' Youtube videos that have a dog chasing their owner down a trail in slow motion.
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Mkasner

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Otter you must not have a dog and I just moved to the area where I don't have friends or family that can watch him. But don't worry, fiddo hasn't made it to Brown County yet, nor will he ever....

Shane Pettiner

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Otter you must not have a dog and I just moved to the area where I don't have friends or family that can watch him. But don't worry, fiddo hasn't made it to Brown County yet, nor will he ever....

Is a dog crate for your home or apartment not an option?

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Me thinks we have a troll in our midst 8)

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links