//Trail Status mouse over Java // 2014 Brown County Epic

Author Topic: 2014 Brown County Epic  (Read 19210 times)

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
2014 Brown County Epic
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »

http://www.hmba.org/wp/2014/08/brown-county-epic-press-release/

http://www.hmba.org/wp/brown-county-epic/

Registration opens on August 8.

We will continue to have 100, 75, 50, and 25mi ride options with no repeating loops.  We will offer a great lineup of bands for live music.  The product and bike demo area will be available on Saturday.

New for 2014:

The event will be entirely volunteer run in 2014.  This means more of the proceeds of the event will stay with HMBA and that means more of that money will go towards more trails!
HMBA Members may purchase a Sunday-only registration to attend the Sunday Epic Ride!
Wider variety of music choices! Stay tuned for announcements regarding the band lineup!
We want to thank all the volunteers and participants over the last 9 years that have supported the Breakdown, and a special thanks to Sub 9 Productions for their dedication and support of this event.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:59:05 AM by Nate Hawkins »

jfish

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Brown County Epic
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »
Planning on attending this. Hopefully the Spearfish will live up to it's reputation, or I just suck :p

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:42:53 AM »
The $50 member ride only doesn't include a t-shirt and I didn't see anywhere on bikereg to order one.  Will there be t-shirts available for sale at the event for members and if so what is the cost?

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
The $50 member ride only doesn't include a t-shirt and I didn't see anywhere on bikereg to order one.  Will there be t-shirts available for sale at the event for members and if so what is the cost?

Not sure right now.  Tammy, Paul, and Frank headed to Steamboat Springs, CO for the IMBA Summit and have been otherwise occupied.  We will be having our Open-to-the-Public Board Meeting next Wednesday evening at Tomlinson Taproom and the Epic will certainly be a topic of the discussions.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
We will get the option to order a t-shirt separate up on bike reg (hopefully by tonight).
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 03:17:41 PM »
The option to buy a t shirt is now up on the Bike Reg site.  $20.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

jfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
Can you go as far as you can and just hitch a ride when you cant make it anymore? Mainly I'd like to reach Yellow wood, but doubt I can do 50-100 miles loop. So my goal will be to reach yellow wood, then call my brother to pick me up when I cant ride no more - that's if I can even make it to yellow wood!  ;D
Thanks

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »
Absolutely, I've seen several people do that.  Basically the Hidden Cabin is around the 25 mile mark and cars can get to that point.  You could get there and then ride some of Yellowood and meet your brother back at the cabin, etc. 

jfish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »
Is there a map available or provided after you register? So I can at least plan it in advance?

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »
Maps are not provided until the day of the event because the event covers trails not open to bikes on ANY other day. We don't need people trying to preride ruining it for the rest of us.  Besides, routes are not yet finalized.

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
Register for the Brown County Epic before September 1, 2014 for a chance to win a RockShox SID RCT3 120mm 29er suspension fork (MSRP over $800).

Details -

http://www.hmba.org/wp/2014/08/win-a-rockshox-sid-rct3-120mm-29er-suspension-fork/

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 06:52:08 AM »
The option to buy a t shirt is now up on the Bike Reg site.  $20.

If you have already registered for the Sunday only ride and paid the Bikereg fee for that, they will charge you a $2.60 fee again if you want to order a t-shirt that was not previously available.

jfish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 07:42:24 AM »
Maps are not provided until the day of the event because the event covers trails not open to bikes on ANY other day. We don't need people trying to preride ruining it for the rest of us.  Besides, routes are not yet finalized.

Roger that. It is the planner mentality kicking in. No plans of riding closed trails, I just want to be familiar with it through a map (but I can wait til the event). I want to be ready and hopefully take advantage of the trails that aren't normally open to bikes. I still need a lot of riding experience, I don't even know if I can make it there, but that's the challenge for myself!  :D

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »

At this point, familiarize yourself with the trails in Brown County State Park as your #1 priority.  You could pretty easily get a 50mi ride done within the state park boundary.

Every year the ride enters Yellowwood State Forest from the same horse trail.  That will be no different this year.  Study topo maps of the fire roads within Yellowwood.  Some of them will be used.  Some of them are disgustingly steep.  There will be some singletrack there only open for this event, which you will have to be "surprised" by on ride day.

Hoosier National Forest has been part of the ride in the past.  It has not been for the past few years, but we try to get it back every year.  Stay tuned for the verdict on HNF, but it might be wise to familiarize yourself with Nebo Ridge and Hickory Ridge trails on HNF just in case we can get it back in the event this year.

The event traverses some private property (one of the sag stops will be located there) and there are no permanent trails that access that property.

Roger that. It is the planner mentality kicking in. No plans of riding closed trails, I just want to be familiar with it through a map (but I can wait til the event). I want to be ready and hopefully take advantage of the trails that aren't normally open to bikes. I still need a lot of riding experience, I don't even know if I can make it there, but that's the challenge for myself!  :D

speed Metal

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 05:45:53 AM »
Was wondering if many riders do the 100 mile route/option?  This will be my first year attending and trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links