//Trail Status mouse over Java // awesome trail, but damn

Author Topic: awesome trail, but damn  (Read 3186 times)

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
awesome trail, but damn
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
rode RNP for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed the place.  different character to the trails, and they're still a ton of fun.

Only complaint - why did you put so many derailleur-eating obstacles RIGHT at the trailhead?

I was there for 5 minutes, tooling around in the skills area for a bit.  did a couple teeters and then decided to work on the field of cut logs on end, and my rear wheel slipped between two of them, mangling my derailleur hanger.  doh!  didn't even get out onto the trail before that happened!

I spent about 20 minutes bending it back into place, and I was able to get it bent to a point where I wasn't ghost shifting all over, and I wasn't going to toss my derailleur into my spokes at 20mph somewhere, destroying my wheel.

I was able to get a good ride in, but it did curtail my chances to ride today after work.  thankfully I have a spare hanger to install so I CAN ride tomorrow if it's nice.

I ran into JT out there, also riding at RNP for the first time.  Turns out, he's from my neck of the woods.  nice to run into another east sider on the trails!

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: awesome trail, but damn
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:04:06 PM »
I love rnp. Trail is one of my favorites!!! Never mangled my derailer but I have drug it across some rock here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

JT

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:07:50 AM »
I had a lot of fun at RNP...nice to meet  you Nate!   :D
Go that way really fast, if something gets in the way....turn!

jfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »
Definitely fun trail. Although 2 times we've been out there, my brother crashed to a tree, busted his front tooth. And I crashed twice and eventually got a flat. So we're 2-0 so far vs RNP.

On another note, i just bought me a park tool DAG-2, let me know if you need it. 

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:32:44 AM »
First time there, I bent a rotor shorting a step up to a cement slab.  Last time, I pinch flatted not 20 feet into the trail.

It's awesome.  Don't change a thing. 

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »

Bent a rotor?  ouch, that'll hurt.

agreed about changing it.  don't.

I had a spare derailleur hanger at home so I'm back up and running after a quick swap.  my old hanger was too severely bent for me to be comfortable with it holding very long in the future after bending it back.  I'm just going to buy a couple spares and will actually keep one in my pack now.

if it was only a slight tweak, I probably would have just put an alignment gauge on it and tweaked it back.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:20:55 PM »
... I pinch flatted not 20 feet into the trail.

Did that myself on my second lap.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

rangelinenaturepreserve

• Should be riding....
  • One is never truely lost when on two wheels.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
Only complaint - why did you put so many derailleur-eating obstacles RIGHT at the trailhead?

Sorry about that.   The trail head was not decided by the trail builders.  When the posts and cable around the parking lot were installed, the opening was placed at that location.  So, the trail builders didn't have a choice where to enter the woods.  The so called derailleur-eating obstacles were already there.
If you wait for good weather to ride in Indiana you will be waiting forever.

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »

I had a spare derailleur hanger at home so I'm back up and running after a quick swap.  my old hanger was too severely bent for me to be comfortable with it holding very long in the future after bending it back.  I'm just going to buy a couple spares and will actually keep one in my pack now.

At least you were on relatively flat ground and close to the trailhead when you bent your hanger---I was at the BOTTOM of Hesitation Point when I broke my hanger on the way back up to where we had parked.  Talk about a nice (not!) walk out!  I had a spare...conveniently left in my car---needless to say, it's always in my Camelbak now.  Tried to make a singlespeed out of it to pedal some out...just couldn't get it dialed in right trailside.   :(
Fat Bikes Matter!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links