//Trail Status mouse over Java // Advice for a first-timer to BC

Author Topic: Advice for a first-timer to BC  (Read 2365 times)

pmanderson

• View Profile
Advice for a first-timer to BC
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
I'll be spending the weekend at BC in a few weeks. I'd like to make my way to Hesitation Point and back at least.
Since the trail allow riders to go in either direction, I'd rather take the direction of least resistance in regards to sharp uphill climbing.

Can anyone recommend which directions to take (left or right, clockwise or counter-clockwise) at the following intersections towards Hesitation Point?

1) Where the North Gate trail meets North Tower loop - clockwise (left) or counter-clockwise (right)?
 2) Where North Tower Loop meets Aynes Loop - clockwise (left) or counter-clockwise (right)?

On the way back from Hesitation Point should my direction around those loops be the same?
Can you suggest a path through Green Valley trail assuming the furthest I intend on going is Hesitation Point?

Thanks in advance.

Shreti

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a first-timer to BC
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »
I'll be there for a long weekend in a few weeks too.  I personally prefer going Left (clockwise) around both North Tower and Aynes.  The climbing on Aynes is pretty intense either way, but you'll enjoy a longer downhill experience going clockwise.  You are doing yourself a real disservice if you don't ride Green Valley both ways. 

The IMBA epic route listed on the Brown County Breakdown website and IMBA's site is a pretty great guide.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »
My favorite "loop":

Starting at North Gate parking lot

Pine Loop to North Gate connector
Northgate to North Tower
North Tower clockwise all the way around to the North end of Green Valley
Green Valley to Aynes (left turn onto Aynes)
Clockwise around Aynes to frog pond
HP to Walnut to Limkiln to campground
Limkiln to Walnut to HP to Aynes (short side - turn left at frog pond)
Aynes to south end of Green Valley
Green Valley to North Tower  (turn left)
North Tower to Pine Loop 

David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
Lefts (clockwise) are the more common direction, but both ways are great.
Most of the the time, I hit Green Valley on the way back from Hesitation.

Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
If you're looking for the shortest (least amount of climbing to get to Hesitation), take a right where North Gate and Tower meet.  Take that down across the creek and take the next right at Aynes.  That will take you to the Hesitation intersection (just past the Green Valley turn) and you take that to the top of Hesitation.  When you come back, go the same way and then jump back on to Green Valley for the return trip back.

The main negative about this route, IMO, is you miss the great climb up Aynes and the decent that follows and you miss NT loop.  Enjoy the ride!

MikeVK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
I would say that (as you can tell from the responses above) there is enough variation in rider preference that you will encounter about the same amount of traffic no matter which route you take. 

Aynes loop contains a very long climb in either direction, so if you're looking to save your legs for Hesitation Point you will want to avoid it.  Otter describes the shortest way through.  Dave Kuehnen's route backtracks a little in order to ride every bit of trail which might be more of a challenge than you are looking for on your first BC trip (but I'm going make a note of to attempt). 

I like going right (counter-clockwise) where North Gate meets North Tower.  I go right again on Green Valley, then right again on Aynes (a very short distance) to the Hesitation Point trail which is another right.  That gets the very fun Green Valley ride and makes the trip to HP in almost exactly 10 miles.

pmanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
Thank you all for the advice.
I will go the IMBA EPIC route as described on their website and this map I have.
I will also hit Green Valley again on the way back as suggested by Fett, thanks.
I will be heading there soon... I can't wait.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links