//Trail Status mouse over Java // Road Bikes banned?

Author Topic: Road Bikes banned?  (Read 2750 times)

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Road Bikes banned?
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »
I heard a rumor bikes are no longer allowed on the roads in BCSP?  Any one know details or just a rumor?

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Road Bikes banned?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
sounds like a rumor to me.

BCSP page:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2988.htm

State Parks regs:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/6468.htm

Indiana Administrative code:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/iac_title?iact=312

Don't see anything about bicycles on park roads in there.

Entrance fee is still $2 on a bicycle, too.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/5062.htm

ScottC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »
Surely it is just a rumor.  I immediately think of a scenario where someone parks in the north lot by the pool, ends up riding the trails to Limikiln, does not have time and/or energy to backtrack on the trails, and has to hit the roads to quickly get back to the parking lot.  Would they really want to tell a rider that is extemely fatigued and possibly somewhat dehydrated that they have to take the long trip back through the woods when they can make it back to their vehicle in 10-15 minutes on the road?

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »
Damn roadies!!!! :D

This is a joke..please don't flame me.

David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
The rumor may stem from the fact that road (or mountain) bikes are no longer allowed to enter the park through the Horsemen's Camp entrance.  It has always been the rule, but they have always been accomodating about letting road bikes enter.  Apparently, last year, a group of riders gave the lady at the gate a rash of grief because she wouldn't let multiple riders in on one pass, so she is now following the rules to the letter. Here is what the rules say:
The ANNUAL ENTRANCE PERMIT (AEP) will admit the card holder and all persons accompanying in a single private, family-type, non-commercial vehicle or two motorcycles to all properties administered by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, where entrances are designated and fees are charged. It is not valid for entrance to the Indiana State Museum or State Historic Sites. A family entering the property on bicycles may also use this permit in lieu of the Pedestrian & Bicycle Pass.
I know it likely doesn't apply to most of us, but please do not give the gate people grief.  Ever.  They are aware that if you put 4 bikes on your car, you can go in on one pass. It does not give you cause to lobby them at the gate to let your buddies in. It is also probably not wise to make the case that everyone in your peloton is your "family".
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:09:10 PM by Fett »
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

ryantrek

• Patches, the marble jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
 Fett, that blows my mind.... It's 5 bucks to get into a state park via car, and what like 2 bucks to get in via bicycle...  WOW!!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 05:49:34 PM »
that makes sense, Fett.

It only takes one jerk to cause a crackdown in the rules that makes life difficult for us all.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:41:39 PM »
That is often the way things work out.  Too bad

Allen Edwards

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
Yeah.  It's like the jack knobs who gave park staff grief and caused them to start cracking down on night riding after the official hours. 

If somebody in an official capacity tells you no, it means no.  Stop your whining and follow the rules.

lenlog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 05:40:06 PM »
Back in the '80s and '90s, my friend and I would park at the Kelp Village parking lot near Horseman's camp and ride out through Horseman's camp and make sure that the gate attendant saw us leave on our way to points south, Brownstown, etc.  Then when we returned they would always let us in even though they weren't supposed to.  I think some of the horsemen may have complained when a horse got spooked by a bike rider so they clamped down on it for awhile.  I know there have been special occasions on organized rides when it was previously arranged that a group could enter or leave on a certain day, but you always needed to have a pass or pay the fee.

Len

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links