//Trail Status mouse over Java // how to carry tools

Author Topic: how to carry tools  (Read 4126 times)

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
how to carry tools
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »
I had initially asked about this in another thread, but most people focused on what tools to carry, so it seemed better to start a new topic. 

What do people use to carry and organize their tools?  Fanny pack, saddle bag, hydration/gear pack, Sticky Pod ?  Up until now I have used a saddle bag, but that is going to be too small for all the gear that was suggested.  I like a water bottle for hydration, but it seems that a hydration / gear pack would be the best for general all around use. Any suggestions for what to look for in hydration packs?  I can interpret water capacity (70 oz. 100 oz. etc), but I'm a little uncertain about storage capacity.  Right now I am looking at ones with either a 350 cubic inch or 500cu. in. capacity.  Any thoughts?  Buckles, padding, fitting and styles?

Also, camelbak seems to be the big name brand, but are there any others that are worth looking at? 

Thanks!
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: how to carry tools
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:06:15 AM »
Ossprey is what I use and they are awesome!  And most importantly they have a lifetime warranty on the pack itself. Rei and performance and grey goat carry them. Not sure if any other shops do. I've had mine for 2 seasons now and love. Mine
Is the syncro 15 it's right in the middle  if I remember right. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »
Same here, Osprey makes great packs. I believe mine is a raptor 16...?....
Remember, a larger and smaller pack don't weigh that much differently when empty.
I like the option of more space, if I need it.
You can only pack so much stuff into a little pack.

I've had good luck with Camelbak as well, their bladders are better IMHO, better bite valves and the new ones all have quick release hoses.

I use a CB bladder in my Osprey pack.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:29:57 AM »

I use a CB bladder in my Osprey pack.

That is a winning combo.

I'm really looking for an excuse to ditch my Mule NV, but the damn thing won't die.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

fst aslp

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »
Check out geigerigg. Expensive but literally blows everything else away.  It is pressuriEd and will spray out of the valve

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
Go and try them on to make sure you like the fit.  Also try out the closure on the bladder.  I do not like the closure on the new Camelbak bladder.  I find it easy to accidently not get it seated correctly.  Happened to me, it leaked, and ended up ruining my phone.  I now have an Osprey.

lweilenman

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:24:37 PM »
I've got a Camelback hawg great pack but if I was going to buy another hydration pack it would be an osprey.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »
Go and try them on to make sure you like the fit.  Also try out the closure on the bladder.  I do not like the closure on the new Camelbak bladder.  I find it easy to accidently not get it seated correctly.  Happened to me, it leaked, and ended up ruining my phone.  I now have an Osprey.

They tried to fix a problem that didn't exist with that change didn't they. I now check mine every time before I zip it up. The old threaded version never failed me a single time.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
The quarter turn cap is tricky, but I do like the size of it.  I too had some unfortunate experiences learning to use the new cap but the size of the opening and the internal structure of the bladder are pretty darn good.  The Camelback bite valves are still the best that I have ever tried .
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
I always had Camelbaks and they are great, but I bought an Osprey last year and was impressed.  The little details seem to be just a bit better thought out.  I love the magnet to hold the hose up and roll out tool pouch.  I think I have the Raptor 14 for my Epic pack.

I used to also have an old Ergon pack.  Nothing else touched it for comfort when carrying alot of weight, but the storage area were not really that well thought out and it looked a bit odd.  I still have it if anyone ever wants to try it.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
Don't forget to think about things you want to carry during the colder months.  Extra layers, gloves, heat packs, etc.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
My new Epic came with the SWAT thingy, headset tool and super secret multitool stuck up the frame.  :o  Haven't set it up yet.  :P

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/technology/swat

Gochenour

• Training wheels on
  • Passion, Practice, Persistence, Patience
    • View Profile
    • Gochenour's Strava
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »
Awesome. My new Stumpy is "Swat" compatible but I don't think it came with anything. (That I know of...) The headset tool idea is absolutely amazing.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:40:24 PM by Gochenour »
"How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice."
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:57:54 AM »
On short rides at SWW where it isn't a very long hike back to the car, I use a smaller camelback with just water.
On longer rides at BCSP I use my Camelback Mule, and pack a tube, multitool, pocket knife, small first aid kit, phone, a couple cliff bars. Depending on the time of day, or time of year, sometimes I pack my clear glasses in case my sunglasses are too dark.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »

This is the eco-friendly way.  Reuse those plastic bags!

2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links