//Trail Status mouse over Java // Narrow wide chainring

Author Topic: Narrow wide chainring  (Read 5468 times)

Miller1651

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Narrow wide chainring
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 08:42:24 PM »
I've already replaced the cassette. I bought an 11-34 off here from another member when I did the 650B conversion, so I'm good there.
The bike is older, but the guy I bought it from barely rode it, he estimated between 300-350 miles total. Guys at Gray Goat didn't believe me when I told them what year it was...the rear shock still looked brand new. I've gone over the RD, its still in pretty good shape. Its an XT, non-clutch, but I've read many people being able to use non-clutch with this setup just fine.

Ed Strobel

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:22 PM »
I have 9 speed no clutch, and have not yet dropped the chain.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »
I've already replaced the cassette. I bought an 11-34 off here from another member when I did the 650B conversion, so I'm good there.
The bike is older, but the guy I bought it from barely rode it, he estimated between 300-350 miles total. Guys at Gray Goat didn't believe me when I told them what year it was...the rear shock still looked brand new.

Sounds like you got yourself a sweet "garage queen"! 

If you're going to stay 9sp w/ a 11-34T, then I would look at a 30/30T ring to make up for the loss of having a 36T on a 10sp set up.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Miller1651

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »
Ya, the guy got injured or something so MTB was rough on him....fine by me. Pretty sure I've logged more miles this spring than he did the previous couple years.

I've been reading more and more today, most likely going with the 30 or 32...going to try and see what others with the crankset I have are running...if anything.

Its funny, I can install a lift or change a motor in my truck, but I'm still on the struggle bus when it comes to figuring out this MTBing stuff.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 10:41:36 PM »
C'mon man, 32 up front and 12x28 out back is all you really need on HMBA trails ;)

Heck, my chicken legs can handle a 34x20 SS on Aynes and HP.
A 12x26 would be lighter.....
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 05:39:50 AM »
Not as light as a ss!! 
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

RiverBankRider

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 06:15:04 AM »
I hate to drag this out, but will...   What front gear is optimal for CX around here?  I'm guessing that the NW is just as popular with that crowd, but more available with a 104 crank pattern?

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »
I hate to drag this out, but will...   What front gear is optimal for CX around here?  I'm guessing that the NW is just as popular with that crowd, but more available with a 104 crank pattern?

Wolftooth has what you want. 

110 BCD
http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/110-bcd-cyclocross-chainrings

130BCD
http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/130-bcd-cyclocross-chainrings
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
I have discovered a great way to increase the range on my mountain bike with an innovative chainguide.  I seem to drop my chain alot less than most of my single ring brethren.  It is a chainguide that actually has a cable actuated pivoting mechanism.  What I have done is add a second smaller ring to my crank, while using a slightly larger one for my main chainring.
It moves back and forth seamlessly, never dropping a chain and I can climb hills easier and never run out of gear.  I think it may catch on.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:31:51 AM by Fett »
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
I have discovered a great to increase the range on my mountain bike with an innovative chainguide.  I seem to drop my chain alot less than most of my single ring brethren.  It is a chainguide that actually has a cable actuated pivoting mechanism.  What I have done is add a second smaller ring to my crank, while using a slightly larger one for my main chainring.
It moves back and forth seamlessly, never dropping a chain and I can climb hills easier and never run out of gear.  I think it may catch on.

Hope you have a patent for that, don't want to loose out on your "invention".  :)
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »
I have discovered a great way to increase the range on my mountain bike with an innovative chainguide.  I seem to drop my chain alot less than most of my single ring brethren.  It is a chainguide that actually has a cable actuated pivoting mechanism.  What I have done is add a second smaller ring to my crank, while using a slightly larger one for my main chainring.
Old become new...circle of life.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
Let me know when you get that on Kickstarter, I want in on the ground floor.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 01:54:36 PM »
I am afraid that I may not be the first person to think about it. When I went to attach the smaller chainring to my cranks, I found that there were already holes drilled in it, that fit perfectly. That is just too much of a coincidence.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links