//Trail Status mouse over Java // Latex Tubes

Author Topic: Latex Tubes  (Read 1131 times)

ztbishop

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Latex Tubes
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »
After converting my Off-road bikes to Tubeless, I decided to try latex tubes in my roadbike paired with my 25mm 4000S tires.  Supposedly they make the ride more supple.  I've read that you can lose air faster, up to 10PSI in 24 hours, so I figured I top off before riding anyway.

However, I'm losing 10psi in 2 hours of riding, or 4 hours of sitting.  The tubes are not pinched...same rate in front / rear.  Because of this, they are basically useless for commuting to work, and long distance / centuries.  Has anybody else tried latex in a road setup with better success?

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
Re: Latex Tubes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »
I think the first question you need to ask is: was the ride any better with those tubes, or did you even notice?

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
Never tried latex tubes in road bikes since I don't have one but if they have removable valve cores you can try squirting some Stans in them for commuting.

I put Stans in the rear tubes of all our patrol bikes to stave off flats and it works great for us.

ztbishop

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
Well, I don't know that I noticed too much at first, but toward the end of my 30 mile ride, the tires had lost so much air that I was worried about a blow-out (so they were definitely softer at that point).  I was thinking of giving it another try but it's been raining too much.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links