//Trail Status mouse over Java // Shimano Bleed Kit - Where to Buy Locally????

Author Topic: Shimano Bleed Kit - Where to Buy Locally????  (Read 1169 times)

RallyPunx

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Shimano Bleed Kit - Where to Buy Locally????
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
Anyone know where I can buy the Shimano brake bleeding kit (with funnel) locally? I called most bike shops and no one seems to carry it in stock. I got a new set of brakes that I need to bleed once I cut the hoses to fit my bike. I will greatly appreciate any info on where to buy. I want to ride this weekend!!!

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Shimano Bleed Kit - Where to Buy Locally????
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »
Have you tried
Mathews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

lweilenman

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
I ran into the same issue a few weeks ago and couldn't find one locally. if you do some searching online specifically mtbr forums you can find info on how to cut Shimano lines without bleeding. that's what I did and haven't had any trouble with my brakes. all you need is a new olive and barb for reattaching the levers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
I ran into the same issue a few weeks ago and couldn't find one locally. if you do some searching online specifically mtbr forums you can find info on how to cut Shimano lines without bleeding. that's what I did and haven't had any trouble with my brakes. all you need is a new olive and barb for reattaching the levers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I did the same thing and was successful.  Simple to cut lines and not bleed.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »
If you're anywhere close to the 86th/Michigan area, you can use mine.  Do you need a bleed or cutting down the lines?
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

RallyPunx

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to search mtbr and see if I find the info on how to cut the lines without having to bleed them. If it works, at least I can ride until the bleed kit comes in the mail.

DeepVI, thanks for offering. If the method above doesn't work, I might take you up on the offer. Again, thanks.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »

If it works, at least I can ride until the bleed kit comes in the mail.

DeepVI, thanks for offering. If the method above doesn't work, I might take you up on the offer. Again, thanks.

If you're in no hurry, I'd wait until your kit comes in.  Nothing sucks more than squishy brakes.  A little extra brake line isn't going to hurt anything.  Cutting and bleeding Shimano's is the easiest thing in the world, magnitudes better than SRAM.  Just trimmed down my SLX's on the new bike.  Had both cut and bled in about 20 minutes.  Shimano's instructions call for bleeding at the caliper, but you don't have to do that.  When you disconnect the line from the lever, use a clamp, rubberband, something to keep the line vertical so you lose at little fluid as possible.  Throw on the olive, press in the barb, reconnect with a very light touch and bleed.  Getting that barb in can be a pain though.  I use a 2x4 clamped to the vise and push against that, goes right in.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links