//Trail Status mouse over Java // Helmetless riders... More today than I've ever seen!

Author Topic: Helmetless riders... More today than I've ever seen!  (Read 10011 times)

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
Re: Helmetless riders... More today than I've ever seen!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »
...He hasn't forgotten it since.

The log, right?

I tell ya, the mistakes I make are often when letting my thoughts drift or failing to pay attention. Over time you learn that speed is generally your friend, because the sketchy parts tend to get more sketchy with less speed.

I cringed the day my friend showed up at Town Run and realized he forgot his helmet. It was a slower ride for beginners so we took it easy, but that truly means nothing on a mtb trail.

Where is the t-shirt with the graphic "This is your head" on the front, and "This is your head without a helmet" on the back? No need to exchange words, but also no need to be gruesome and freak the kids out.

~Yet another Dave

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »
(I remember feeling the helmet compress and my teeth jarring. I have wrecked before but never had I hit my head like this.)

This is why I not only wear a helmet but also a mouthpiece, at my dentist's recommendation.  His quote: "I can fix teeth, but not scrambled eggs (concussion)." Apparently the jaw motion in a bad crash can cause concussions much easier without a mouthpiece, which is why football players wear mouthpieces.
Fat Bikes Matter!

ssjeff

• Training wheels on
  • Legally Armed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 10:57:39 PM »
I have invisalign and the tray held my teethe in place. I have often thought of getting a mouth piece.
2013 Stumpjumper (TreeThumper)
1997 Cannondale Road bike.
2014 Surly Pugzly Spec Ops
2015 Santa Cruz 5010
2015 Giant Advnaced

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »
I have a no-helmet ride to share, and it's safety related, but jabs at roadies.
Al and I met at SWW to do a road ride, but I forgot my helmet at home, and didn't want to waste an hour driving back to get it.  So we rode to his place, not far from the park, to get one of his spare helmets.
As we approached the four-way stop at Mooresville Road and Mills Road, a group of roadies approached the intersection from the north.  Without so much as a token tap on the brakes, the peloton blew right through the intersection. As they approached us, the leader looked at me, and yelled "No helmet!"  ???   :o
I'm not as quick-witted as I'd like, but about three seconds after they passed, I could only think "they just ran a four-way stop and had the nerve to chide me for not wearing a helmet!" But by then, they were too far away for them to hear me.  :(
So I got a loaner helmet a few minutes later, and all was right and good after that.
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »
'nuther story  ;D

When I crashed at BCSP Nov 2011, and broke my collarbone, I hit my head REAL hard going down, and thought I'd rung my bell.  After I sat up, my head didn't hurt or have that woozy feeling from a concussion.  My helmet definitely saved me from worse injury that day.

David Gardner
Southwestway Trail Bum

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »
My current tally of broken helmets from crashes is at four over 16 years.  They have saved me from scrambling my head.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Stoker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
....  If somebody wanted to say something, they wouldn't have liked my answer.  ..

You've peaked my interest.  What would be your response to a safety recommendation?

I guess his answer would have been no answer.

I've had many concussions in my life.  Some more severe than others, but every one of them takes a toll on the brain.  Ever since the last really bad head injury I received in a hockey game years ago, my memory has been sporadic.  I get headaches from time to time that make migraines feel like a blessing.  It isn't any fun. 
When I see someone about to ride without a helmet on, I strike up a friendly conversation with them.  I don't care if they look like they are a professional rider or a beginner.  And I don't care if people think it is none of my business to do so.  If there is a remote possibility of keeping someone from doing damage to their head that will stick with them for life, then it is worth a few minutes of my time. I've never upset anyone and I don't preach to them.  But what is the harm in talking? 
Like it or not, it really is everyone's business when someone rides without a helmet.  That person might get through the trail just fine, and a group of kids might see the helmetless rider and think "if that guy in the cool gear on that awesome bike doesn't need a helmet, then neither do I".   Or  maybe someone goes down, hits their head without a helmet and is crippled or killed.  I have seen people tip over in paved parking lots and land on their sides, smacking their head in the process.   I've helped plenty of injured people get out of the woods.  I've been puked on by a guy with a concussion at town run while  I walked his bike back to his truck (and he was wearing a helmet).  Accidents happen all the time, and it doesn't take a feature, a jump, an obstacle or anything else to make them happen. 

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:57:00 AM by Stoker »

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
I appreciate all the input on this topic regardless of opinion. The stories help reinforce the reality that there is a known danger to getting on a mountain (and road) bike, whether you leave your house or not. (don't ask about my encounter with the ducks in my backyard).

Just when I think I'm at a milestone of being more aware and able to dodge a mishap, the information here is a good reminder that nobody is excluded from a potential accident. Reducing the severity of injury is one thing we can strive for, so thanks for the reminder about mouth guards. I think I'm going to get one as it's been a passing thought here and there throughout the past year but I'm finally moving a bit faster and don't like the dentist.

One more thought- who straps a GoPro onto their head without a helmet?  :P

~Yet another Dave

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 12:23:26 PM »
Well I guess it's time to chime in. I always were a helmet when I ride. When I look back at all the dumbsú%t i did as a kid on my bmx bike I consider myself lucky that I'm reassembly ok    But my son has broke 2 helmets in the past 2 yrs in crashes. One at rnp and the other at the fort on shoen. And he refuses to ride with out one. I've whacked my head pretty good a few times in crashes. One on cedar rock in DuPont not long ago. And I'm very glad I ha mine on. And wanderer have you ever heard it takes a village to raise a child. You are entitled to your opinion. But the last thing we need is someone to get hurt or killed from the lack of a helmet and cause land closer issues to us and out sport.  I'll usually classily ask someone with out a helmet where it is. And if they say I forgot it or don't have one. I just say you are braver then me to be out here with out one. I've never had any one get snippy. What we do is dangerous enough as it is. But that simple piece  of safety equipment can go a long way to keeping us all safe and pedaling along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
Too bad the weather isn't cooperating....it appears that a few need to just get out and ride!   ::)
Fat Bikes Matter!

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Helmetless riders... More today than I've ever seen!
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
Goodbye
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:20:05 AM by Raleighguy29 »
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 07:05:55 PM »
I absolutely will chime in to a parent riding with their kids with no helmets... especially if they appear inexperienced. The same day at SWW, a mom and her son showed up and were trying to get a bike out of their car. I walked over, struck up conversation, and showed her how to remove the quick release wheel to make it easier to get in the car.
I noticed they were getting ready to hit the trail without helmets, and made a friendly suggestion that they should invest in a couple. They said it was only their second time riding, and they weren't sure if they were going to stick with it or not. She appreciated the help, and told me they would probably stop by the bike shop that night and get helmets, and they really liked riding, and the friendly people they met... Hope to see them again out there some day... Hopefully with helmets.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 06:31:53 AM »
One of the cool things form being involved at Town Run Trail Park over the years is seeing people trying out mountain biking for the first time and getting hooked.  New riders aren't going to go out and buy a $1000+ bike, cycling shorts, jerseys, gloves, glasses, clipless pedals, shoes, helmet, etc.....  They borrow a friends bike or buy a cheep bike (department store or used).  And head out to the local trail. 

We can look down at them and make fun of them, or embrace them as new riders and welcome them to our sport.

Calling someone "stupid" or "organ donor" isn't a good way to embrace new riders.  And is more likely to turn them off to mountain biking completely.  The goal isn't to make the new "helmetless" riders go away, its to embrace them and help them progress as riders. 

At the end of the day, HMBA doesn't make park rules.  The rules are set by the Park System.  Some parks require helmets and some don't.  State Parks do not require helmets.  Keep in mind that they don't require helmets for equestrians, who they cart out more often than mountain bikers. 

It really isn't a liability issue for HMBA.  Riders get injured with and without helmets. Those without helmets have a tougher time arguing that they were riding in a safe manor and it was someone else's fault that they got injured.

If you would like to see more new riders wearing helmets, then you can do something positive about it.

• Welcome them to our sport, and while giving them advice on where to ride, bike setup, riding tips, etc.. politely work in wearing a helmet.
  • Organize a kids helmet give away.  Back in the day, my race team did this.  Its not hard to find a bike helmet to cut you a good deal on kids helmets and to find some sponsors to buy the helmets.  Then give them away to kids in need of helmets.

I have encountered many new riders at Town Run, riding with no helmets, on cheap bikes, on muddy trails, etc...  and it is really awesome to see them the next year on a nicer bike, wearing a helmet, and progressing as a rider.  Even more cool to see them at BCSP or other trails and see them hooked on our great sport.   Not sure that they would have stuck with it, if their first encounter with me was getting yelled at or lectured on wearing a helmet.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 08:09:49 AM »
thank you, Paul.  I think this is a good place to close this discussion, as it's getting heated and personal.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 08:20:21 AM »
OK, everybody here is making good points, and keeping it relatively civil.  Let's not descend into name calling, we're all adults here.

I tend to agree that approaching someone to offer friendly feedback on safe riding is totally up to you.  Some people have a "live and let live" philosophy on life, while some seek to pad every corner of everyone's lives.  I'll be honest, and will admit while I believe in wearing a helmet while bicycling, I have for most of my life ridden street motorcycles without one.  It's a matter of evaluating and accepting a certain amount of risk in our lives.
David Gardner
Southwestway Trail Bum

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links