//Trail Status mouse over Java // Helmetless riders... More today than I've ever seen!

Author Topic: Helmetless riders... More today than I've ever seen!  (Read 10009 times)

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Helmetless riders... More today than I've ever seen!
« on: May 03, 2014, 07:37:02 PM »
I try not to play Mommy, but can't help but speak to people I see riding without a helmet.
I'm polite, but try to convince them to get a helmet before riding the trails again.
There were so many out today, I stopped trying...
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Helmetless riders... More today than I've ever seen!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
There were a bunch in bcsp today also. Just don't get it. I know mine has saved me noggin a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Gochenour

• Training wheels on
  • Passion, Practice, Persistence, Patience
    • View Profile
    • Gochenour's Strava
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »
It's really sad. Most of these people haven't mountain biked enough to experience a wreck. I bet it only takes one good wreck before they change their mind. It's even worse when you see helmetless riders with ear buds.  :(

I do agree with you though. A truck with two younger guys pulled up to me when I was at SWW and asked me if there were MTB trails there. They said they usually ride at Eagle Creek... I showed them the different trail heads and noticed they didn't have helmets. I told them I wouldn't advise it after the wrecks I've experienced and witnessed, yet they went along and chose to ride anyways.

Maybe big scary signage at trail heads labeled "Helmet Advised!" would be enough to spook some sense into people. I don't know...
"How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice."
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »
Well unfortunately you can't fix that kind of stupid. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:53:21 AM »
They likely don't have much to protect....  Look at how many ride motorcycles without helmets.  I guess the "wind through their hair" is too tempting...I don't have to worry about that!  8-)
Fat Bikes Matter!

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
Admitedly, I rode my BMX in the trails every weekend as a kid and never wore a helmet... I survived.
I usually just relay a short story about my buddy who forgot his helmet on one ride, and it was the one time he fell down a ravine and hit his head on a log...
He hasn't forgotten is since.
I also have a damaged helmet in my bike cabinet as a reminder that they are worth wearing.
David
"The bike rescuer"

Bill Ardery

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »
 I saw a bunch of Amish dudes at BCSP riding w straw hats on. How do you approach that one ?

Foliage Boy, Bill

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »
They were probably Mennonite...bikes are too shiny for Amish.   :)
There was a helmetless rider on CLIFFSIDE/CREEKSIDE (tons of rocks, steep slopes) at VSP today...he and the two he was with all looked to be "racers" as they were barreling along.  I'm assuming he forgot it and didn't want to miss out on riding, but he's got way more guts than I!
Fat Bikes Matter!

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 04:50:08 PM »
 Yeah, until someone busts their grape on a trail or feature then all of the sudden it's gone or access is lost. It happened at Washington Park in Avon (where features were removed) and the wooden banked turn @ Town Run was off limits for a review of safety following an accident. Southwest Way is kind of like a proving ground for mountain biking and Indy Parks, it sure would suck if someone was hurt and sued the HMBA leading to Indy Parks putting the brakes on any future trail access. Yes, I know that is worst case scenario and unlikely but it all ties together somewhere. Mountain biking or biking in general for that matter (see the memorial ride for the commuter run over by a bus) is a risky sport and/or recreation but it doesn't have to be irresponsibly risky.  I am no helmet police but if I get in a conversation with a helmetless rider on the trail I will kindly mention it. 

Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
....  If somebody wanted to say something, they wouldn't have liked my answer.  ..

You've peaked my interest.  What would be your response to a safety recommendation?
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Gochenour

• Training wheels on
  • Passion, Practice, Persistence, Patience
    • View Profile
    • Gochenour's Strava
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
This is a discussion that comes up from time to time. I'm not going to nag everyone I see and tell them they must wear a helmet. But, if someone approaches me with questions and I can tell they don't ride whichever trail system often, I will advise them to wear or get a helmet.

What really needs to be analyzed is not if a rider decides to wear a helmet when riding, but the reputation they are producing to whichever authorities that own each trail system when they decide to ride without a helmet. I view riding any trail system as a privilege, and wearing a helmet is not only smart, but also shows that we (as mountain bikers) have responsibility, and respect for riding the trail systems.
"How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice."
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

thats_how_i_FELT

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »
I am always amazed at the way these conversations go. My Mom always told me "my business ends where my nose begins". Every decision we make in life potentially impacts someone or something around us. I would never think of telling someone to get themselves a helmet unless they asked my opinion. Risk is what it is. If a little risk worries you maybe you should be on the couch - I say get out and RIDE!!!
 The important question here. If you ride by someone injured, helmet or not, would you offer help? That's the real deal - What kind of person are YOU?
thats_how_i_FELT

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »
If an opportunity comes up, I make a joke which includes poking fun at their lack of a helmet and that's as far as I take it. They generally take it in stride and sometimes readily admit knowing they need one. I believe it's a fairly safe way to plant or nurture the seed of common sense. (by whose measuring stick is wearing a helmet common sense, right?)  I don't attempt to sound mean or holier than thou, but in the end, we should all care about everyone's safety on the trail, whether they want us to or not.

Similar but different- back when people didn't have to wear seatbelts, did you ever let your passenger in the front seat ride without it?

I'd help anyone I come across that is hurt no matter the circumstances. If it was a helmetless rider and depending on the severity I may have to bite my tongue and choose more compassionate words. It's very easy to set ourselves up for disappointment with unrealistic expectations of others. Most people want to be right about most things, and that can lead to judgmental behavior and words. I readily admit to being guilty of that, but not every day all the time.

Have fun, be safe, and know how to dial 9-11!  ::)

~Yet another Dave

ssjeff

• Training wheels on
  • Legally Armed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
I ate it at Brown County a couple weeks ago. When my shoulder hit my head whipped down and smacked the ground. It was almost slow motion the way I remember it happening. I remember feeling the helmet compress and my teeth jarring. I have wrecked before but never had I hit my head like this. I am sure if there was a rock, tree, or stump there it would have been worse and I would have been unconscious.

The scary thing that got me thinking is that I was taking it easy. It had been a long day of driving and I just wanted a nice day at the BCSP.

I am so glad I see the high percentage of people wearing helmets on the trail. I hope to see it get higher too!

I think what can go bad pictures work the best to encourage people to use safety devices. I know I have an email about wearing fall protection harnesses correctly. Those pictures make me put the harness on correctly EVERY time lol. I can send that email to anyone by the way, just message me. It is not for the faint of heart and the guy survived but I am sure he was walking funny for a while.
2013 Stumpjumper (TreeThumper)
1997 Cannondale Road bike.
2014 Surly Pugzly Spec Ops
2015 Santa Cruz 5010
2015 Giant Advnaced

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
Idon't lecture or harp on people... Just merely make a suggestion, and maybe relate a short story.
A friend of mine (not as active of a mountainbiker) forgot his helmet on one ride. Instead of driving back home (only a couple miles) He went ahead and rode without. He's a casual rider, and doesn't ride fast. He happened to loose his balance on a tricky little spot at SWW, (by actually going too slow) and fell down a ravine. Hitting his head on a log stopped him from going all the way to the bottom.
He hasn't forgotten it since.
David
"The bike rescuer"

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links