//Trail Status mouse over Java // Sunday HP Etiquette

Author Topic: Sunday HP Etiquette  (Read 8616 times)

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday HP Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
But DeepVI, you ride a hardtail.....
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
I just try to stop and say Hi to everybody.  Uphill, downhill, no hill, on foot/bike/horse, don't matter.  I ain't in no hurry. 

lyncher

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
I am like many of the others on here.  I just try to be as friendly as possible to whomever it may be.  In the end we are all out doing what ever we enjoy most.  I take it in a case by case basis...  If I see you before you see me, unless I am in an aggressive climb I will generally pull off the trail.  Some places two people can slide by but with new riders they are uncomfy doing so.  I just get slightly aggravated when I say hello, have a nice ride, enjoy the weather, pull off the trail out of their way and they say nothing.  But like stated, blow it off and keep rippin.

Lifes to short to make it a big deal.

On a side note, bummer on all this rain.. 

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
But DeepVI, you ride a hardtail.....

Indiana made me.  I couldn't be happier!!  My tiny 26" wheels and steel frame tear up Town Run.  Can't wait to get out to Fort Ben and BC on it.  Schooner here I come!
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

craigebaker

• View Profile
    • Bicycle Outfitters Indy
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 11:23:05 PM »
Hey!!! I was out for 5 hours on Saturday at BCSP on a hardtail with lycra. But I only strive for Strava segments on uphills or on Schooner on weekday afternoons when the park is empty..lol.
So not true Fett! You're like 9 seconds faster than me on Strava on the HP to Foundation segment (major descent)!!   ;)

http://www.strava.com/segments/1632930?filter=overall

ssjeff

• Training wheels on
  • Legally Armed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »
I was out there Sunday. I just had to stop on my way back from Florida and it kicked my butt. I stopped a lot to let people by on uphills too. Everyone out riding were pretty nice. Good times.
2013 Stumpjumper (TreeThumper)
1997 Cannondale Road bike.
2014 Surly Pugzly Spec Ops
2015 Santa Cruz 5010
2015 Giant Advnaced

dprimm

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »
One other thing ... sometimes yelling "Rider Up" is for those following a rider.  When in a group, such a thing informs everyone there is another rider around. 

Agent X

• Training wheels on
  • T3 Cycling Team and team mechanic/ BMC
    • View Profile
    • T3 cycling team web page
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 11:18:46 AM »
Yes strava keeps people moving in the wrong direction. If you want to get segments get 4500 lumens and try at night. Then you can say I am KOM of the night.
Ride fast, Take chances! SO do you like to take showers?
After you ride..So You think your a bike mechanic/?

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Bike riders have to yield to everybody else because it is incumbent on US to control our bikes because our greater speed makes us capable of more damage to others.

Horses are a unique element to the situation because the horse has a brain of its own and cannot be completely predictable.  Everyone yields to them because they are dangerous and impossible to control 100%.  But bike riders must be responsible for themselves.

This is the same concept behind vulnerable road user laws.  Pedestrians and cyclists are vulnerable road users (especially when compared with automotive traffic).  Vulnerable road user laws put a greater onus on drivers of larger, faster vehicles to protect the more vulnerable users of the roads.  On the trail, the vulnerable users are hikers.

How this is handled on the trail is not typically regulated by laws, though.  For trails, these rules are usually governed by park rules, which CAN be changed.  Maybe easier than a law, but maybe not.  It will depend on the park manager/land management agency.

Consider that some downhill-only trails put bike riders at the top of the food chain, that all users must yield to bike riders, or that other users are not even permitted on certain trails.  It all depends on how the park chooses to manage those trails.

In the absence of rules specifically posted otherwise, it also gives us a more responsible image when WE yield to others.  Yielding can mean lots of things.  It can mean just slowing down and giving space, but continuing.  It can also mean dismounting and walking by.  I encountered a horse rider at Southwestway recently who was taking a horse onto public trails for the first time.  That horse was TOTALLY not sure what to think about me on my bike.  I announced myself WELL in advance, I talked to the horse and rider, I dismounted from my bike, I took off my helmet and glasses, and continued to speak to the horse and rider as I passed.  I wanted to make sure that horse understood I was a person.  It was still nervous about me, but the encounter was positive all around for both of us.  I also told the horse rider (who was new to southwestway, too) that there were many other trails in the park for horses that did not permit bikes, because I knew that one a$$hole rider could really make that horse flip out and really hurt someone.

It is incumbent on everyone to control themselves and be nice on the trail.  If one guy starts taking an entitled attitude onto the trails, it can ruin things for everybody.  Don't be "that guy".  The OP is cool in my book for posting up the apology.  Strava or no, folks who are out on the trails for lap times and "training" and want everybody out of their way are doing a disservice to us all.  Sometimes I just want to hammer, too, but when I see other trail users, I back off, and I'll be the first to be apologetic if I have a close call with someone because I wasn't paying enough attention and have a close call.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
Great post Nate!
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
I also agree with the poster who noted that yielding to hikers doesn't always work by the rule.  Where I would yield, based on their walking speed, is far closer than where they would yield to me, based on my riding speed. Often times, where they step off of the trail, I will ride by them within about 10 seconds.  I might be waiting for close to a minute if I yield before they yield.

I always intend to yield, but often times slowing and exchanging pleasantries is the practical result of bike vs hiker trail encounters.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links