//Trail Status mouse over Java // Cold weather shoes/boots

Author Topic: Cold weather shoes/boots  (Read 1479 times)

DeepVI

• View Profile
Cold weather shoes/boots
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
Maybe a little late for this season, but something to keep in mind for next winter.

Favorite quote, "If a moonboot and a Wolverine work boot had sex, the MXZ 303 would be their spawn."

http://reviews.mtbr.com/round-up-four-polar-vortex-fighting-mountain-bike-shoes-to-keep-your-feet-warm-and-dry
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:55:28 PM by DeepVI »
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: Cold weather shoes/boots
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:18:56 PM »
Spring is the best time to buy winter gear.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

matte1401

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:34:29 PM »
HIGHLY recommend the Northwave Celcius.  Two winter seasons in on mine.  Very comfy, pretty light and good down to at least 15F.

They're cycling shoes built up to be winter cycling boots, vs. winter hiking boots turned into cycling shoes.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
I have the Shimano boots and have been quite pleased.  I wanted to try Lake and others but my sasquatch-size feet ruled out anything in local stores and online sellers. Mine are 48's which I thought might be a bit big but they work great.

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
At Christmas, my wife surprised me with a set of Sidi Diablo GTX shoes.

They're kind of like the Shimano shoes, with a Gore-Tex/Neoprene boot, and are quite comfortable. They've definitely kept my feet warm and dry.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »
I bought a pair of the specialized defrosters. This year and have been very happy with them.  Even when it's been very cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

David Krahulik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
My son got a pair of slightly used Louis Garneau winter MTB shoes prior to Christmas break.  He has been very satisfied with the purchase.  I had thought about getting a pair of winter riding shoes for many years.  Inspired to action, I hunted down an almost new of Sidi Diablos by mid January and am happy I did.  I hope to use them for many years.  David K

ztbishop

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:52:29 PM »
I picked up the 303's this year in a wide.  I only got in a few rides, but one was the Town Run nite-ride which was probably 15 degrees.  With a blaze wool sock (no warmers) my feet felt good for an hour and a half with the occasional hike through deep snow.  Only problem I'm running into is I get rub against the crank, but my summer shoes do this to a small degree (even with cleats moved all the way inside).   
I prefer arch support which is lacking, so I plan to take out the insulated footbed (appears to have air pockets and aluminum foil) and replace it with a Specialized arch support.  Hopefully this doesn't off-set the warmth too much.

I can see them being very handy for commuting or long rides where neoprene covers would get wet.
Also, the BOA system made me regret not paying for this feature on my other shoes.  It's very nice.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:55:57 PM by ztbishop »

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links