//Trail Status mouse over Java // Mountain Bikers that OWN Road Bikes also

Poll

Wondering how many of you mountain bike riders also own and ride road bikes ?

Mountain bike ONLY
9 (16.7%)
Mountain bike & Road Bike
45 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Mountain Bikers that OWN Road Bikes also  (Read 8390 times)

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Bikers that OWN Road Bikes also
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »
If I could only have one bike, it would be my cross bike.  ;D

(However, it should be noted that I am known as "Roadie Scum" in some circles.  :-[ )

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »
although it won't fill the hole entirely, it does burn calories and revs the soul.

THIS.

Man, this thread is like the antithesis of an addiction support group - rather than weaning off, Im sniffing around CX bikes now. Might need to start playing with one of those. Just bought my dream road bike too......my poor wife.

Its an affliction, thanks for enabling me! LOL.  ;)

-mikey

Mikey,,,,,,   After I ran across this guy's video (Chris Akrigg) on a cross bike. I was like in awe !!

And I'm sure he's not your average rider of course.  But still I was was amazed at the traction those skinny knobby tires produced.

And I too have noticed some snobby riders on both sides of the fence.  I'm a very friendly guy ( Probably too friendly for most folks ). So,, if you stop to talk with me. You might be late for your next appointment if you are heading somewhere after your ride.   :-[   So,, if you see a Raleigh with RED wheels and you are in a hurry,,,,,  don't get me started.  Just ride on by and give me a FRIENDLY wave and I'll understand.  LOL
Happy Happy Happy ------- Trails that is !!!

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 08:05:20 AM »
May be doing my first group road ride of the season tonight. It's a small group. These guys are about the nicest you'll ever meet.

The folks that started this ride used to do aggressive, massively attended training rides. After years of putting up with the attitudes and recklessness, they formed their own training ride. It is a great pleasure to ride with them.

I get a kick out of the fact that it leaves from SWW park. Plus, the route has some respectable hills.

I've been wondering all winter how my first road ride will go this spring.  I'm excited and nervous at the prospect of finding out. I'll be with some extremely strong riders and will quite possibly be the weakest link.

I've said it before... if you want to gain an order of magnitude in your mountain biking endurance, get on the road and chase people that you can barely keep up with, and keep doing it roughly every other day.  ;)

Mad Mikey

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »
I do the occasional group ride, but mostly I roll solo, I call it RONIN style! The Garmin has the virtual training partner which helps push the pace.

Group riding can be fun, but I have almost no patience for the attitude. Last one I did was in Nov. Mixed group of mostly 17-18 mph riders and one guy who was so full of Alpha he couldnt help but find something/someone to yell at........annoying at first but then it became so ridiculous it was entertaining!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:48:52 AM by Mad Mikey »

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 09:26:49 PM »
I ride both.  I have several bikes but my main ones are a custom built Santa Cruz Blur LT for off road and a Fuji SL1 for on road.  Last year I put just over 4K miles on my road bike and probably only 500 or so on my mountain bike.  This year I plan to ride off road more and try to keep my road miles up.  This year I will be commuting as much as possible which is 21 miles one way.  This should help with the road miles and give me more time to spend on the trails.  One of my good friends and I started a cycling club last year, Raintree Cycling Club, so most of my free time is spent riding with the club.  In our first year we had right at 100 members, hopefully our numbers grow but its a lot of work.  If you are interested in seeing what we are you can find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/raintreecyclingclub.  We are an all inclusive club that offers rides for every type of riding from family rides around the neighborhoods to 100+ mile roadie rides to hard core mountain bike rides and everything in between.  Please don't take this as trying to recruit members away from HMBA, if it weren't for HMBA we wouldn't have any trails to ride.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links