//Trail Status mouse over Java // Kickapoo State Recreation Area for DINO 2014

Author Topic: Kickapoo State Recreation Area for DINO 2014  (Read 2173 times)

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
Kickapoo State Recreation Area for DINO 2014
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »
Not having been to Kickapoo State Recreation Area I'm eager to hear what people think the DINO race will be like there. Has a race ever been held there?

I look forward to checking the trails out, but for now this will make good conversation while the blizzards wail over the next several days.   :o

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Kickapoo State Recreation Area for DINO 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
I have raced there a couple of times, but it was probably 8-10 years ago.  They used to have a race there just before the DINO races started and I did it as a warm up.  My memory is fuzzy but if I had to pick a course that it is most like, I would say Winona Lake. Not real hilly.

I had not read that, but it is good to change things up a bit.  Now if only we can get back to Linton :)
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

john7722

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »
Kickapoo is going to be a lot of fun! The trail has a little of everything. A few BIG STEEP climbs, lots of small dirt over log jumps, Fast Flowy Sections also. If Brian Adds the "Heaven & Hell Trail" This Could be one of the more punishing races.  Last time I rode there, they just opened up another new addition of narrow steep bench cut. GOOD TIMES!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:53:43 PM by john7722 »

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »
As I rode it on my scouting mission, I kept thinking what a great "old school" course. A couple of technical climbs, rooty / steep. I do plan to use "Heaven & Hell", which is kind of a jaw dropping sight as you approach it!

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
Very cool to hear about Kickapoo!  It's been a couple of years since I've ridden it, but always enjoy the trail.  Is it replacing a race on the schedule or is it going to be an "extra" race?

booxe

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:23:12 PM »
I get out to Kickapoo fairly often & it's a great place to ride.  Definitely more hills in the mix than there used to be that could be included in the course.  And there are some short, steep climbs that can be pretty tricky to climb.  It primarily has a great mix of mid speed and lower speed twisty singletrack.  This will be another great race venue for DINO.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 07:40:48 AM »
Good, bad, or indifferent, a venue change keeps things from getting boring.  I remember how all the local road runs in Indy (put on by TuxBro and KLA) never varied from one year to the next, which drove many to do trail runs/races.  I'm sure Brian is happy about that  :)

I like Kickapoo but I didn't get to ride there in 2013.  The SWW Trail Bums usually make one trip a year there.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »
Careful with descriptive words like those. Old school and some good climbs will have many not showing up. It might be too hard.  ::)

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:03:19 AM »
Just watched a youtube video of the Heaven and Hell section. The downhill looked fun although it was hard to judge how steep the "hell" part was on camera. It looked pretty rough and the rider was obviously working much harder and there seemed to be some tight hairpin turns on the way up as well. Definitely going to make a trip out there this spring.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
The Heaven and Hell section is fun, and the ride back up is pretty steep.  It is stepped a bit so that it levels off in two or three places, but it is still challenging.  It will separate the men from the boys, so to speak.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

LetsRoll

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 05:26:51 AM »
I just like saying Kickapoo ;)
What kind of bike do you have?
It's a Sledgehammer.
Dang! You got shocks, pegs ...lucky!
You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Adam

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »
Kickapoo has a hard working club that maintains the trails to an excellent level. KMBC is hosting a website with an interactive map illustrating the elevation profiles, etc. Some trails have undergone reroutes and need to have their data updated. That'll come soon.

DINO is having the Aug 2 race in Kickapoo. You'll want to check out the race map for the event.

Here are both links:

KMBC Map: https://www.kickapoombc.org/map.pl

DINO Race: http://www.dinoseries.com/mtb-race-kickapoo-state/

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links