//Trail Status mouse over Java // 1x11, sort of.

Author Topic: 1x11, sort of.  (Read 2048 times)

DeepVI

• View Profile
1x11, sort of.
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »

An interesting product to run the gearing range of 1x11, but using a 10spd cassette. [size=78%]http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/11/28/exclusive-take-your-cassette-to-the-next-level-with-oneup-components-42t-sprocket/[/size]

After moving to Indy, I dropped my granny ring, never had a big ring, out west they just get eaten up.  Picked up a narrow/wide chainring from Wolf Tooth Components, now I'm running a 1x10 with a 34T ring and a 11-36 cassette.  So far I'm in love, paired with my XT clutch RD, it's magic.  No drops at all, even the chunky stuff of Walnut and Schooner.  Having this as a bail out gear would be a nice option.  Not having to mess with a FD is great, plus it makes for a tidy cockpit.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: 1x11, sort of.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
I saw this the other day and thought it would be awesome to add this to my 29 fsr stumpy.
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »
Not a bad price at $85 for an early adopter.  I didn't see anything about a max chainring size.  Surely someone will try and run say, a 40T or bigger, rip they're RD out and blame the company. 
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

Unfit Nitwit

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
I agree there will be someone who puts this on and kills a rear derailleur, just from the take up from going from a 36t to a 42t. Even without going to a bigger chain ring in front.

Have to check the chain length through the suspension travel, for sure.
And I would guess those who like short cage derailleurs will have to make a change.

I can see someone going with a bigger chain ring if they don't need that much of a bail out gear, and want more on the top end.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »
They state that only Med. and Long cages will work.  However I'm sure someone will try running a short cage.  Surely they'll have a max tooth combination as part of the product.  Of course suspension design has a lot to do with that as well, with the amount of chain stretch with the suspension fully bottomed out.

They are doing a good job of addressing peoples questions in the comments section of the product review.  Even the nasty ones.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

Unfit Nitwit

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
I overlooked the derailleur guidance when I read it.
Tempted to ask them about adding a spacer to make it work with 9 speed.
That way I can keep my knee happy while not going to 10 speed just yet, but still dropping a shifter and a couple of chain rings.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »
I don't see why it couldn't work with a 9 speed.  The freehub spacing is the same.  There would be a bigger jump in gear ratio depending on what cog you eliminate to make room for that dinner plate of a gear.  There also might be an issue of a 9sp RD having the capacity.  You might be more interested in the General Lee, but it only works with Sram.  http://www.pinkbike.com/news/General-Lee-Wide-range-Cassette-Adapter-First-Look-2013.html

Or you could switch to 10sp., it's not that bad I promise. :D
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

Unfit Nitwit

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »
Looks like the General Lee would not work for 9 speed.

I liked the 1x10 stuff I rode this past summer. But that was mostly going down hill, and up in a chair lift or gondola.

If I get the urge to go 1x9, Wickworks (I think) has a 30t chain ring I might try out to see how the range feels. Just have to get a guide, a bashwich, or stub the cable on the front derailleur, since I don't have a clutch rear derailleur if I go that direction.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 12:26:34 AM »
For Midwest riding, 1x9 with a 30t from Andersen machine and bbg bashwich had served me well.
Add in real mountains, back to 2x.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »
For Midwest riding, 1x9 with a 30t from Andersen machine and bbg bashwich had served me well.
Add in real mountains, back to 2x.

I think this paired with maybe a 30 or 32T chainring would be fine for "real" mtns.  Might take a little adjustment, but might be doable.  If I end up moving back west I'll be giving it a go for sure.  My knees might say otherwise, but we'll see.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links