//Trail Status mouse over Java // Who is heading up to Iceman this weekend?

Author Topic: Who is heading up to Iceman this weekend?  (Read 2338 times)

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Who is heading up to Iceman this weekend?
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »
I am looking forward to race conditions that look like high 30s/low 40s, raining and windy. A nice test of mental toughness.  We have group of 7 of us heading up Thursday Night. I am getting to start in Wave 2 this year, so I should have a fairly clean course.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Who is heading up to Iceman this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »
I'll be there!  Always look forward to this weekend, it's a great way to cap off the season.

Conditions definitely look sketchy right now and from what people on the MMBA Board are saying, the course is in rough shape.  I'm in wave 11 this year, so hopefully the course holds up after you fast people get done with it.   Good luck to everyone!

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »
What tires are everyone using? I have run Maxxis Aspen's F/R the last 2 yrs, but was thinking about running a Stan's Raven on the back for a little more speed, since there is very little about the course that is technically challenging.  The wet conditions have me second guessing that a little bit.  Also switching from running my Superfly 100 to running a hardtail this year.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 03:25:35 PM »
I'm going with my tried and true set up...Ralph's in the rear and Ron's up front.  Not the fastest set up in the world, but I'm very familiar with them a love the way they hook up.  Last year was my first year on a HT for Iceman and personally I'll probably not go back to FS on that course.  The long flats where you just put it in big ring and hammer make the HT shine IMHO.  Then again...I'm starting in wave 11 and you're in wave 2  ;D

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
This will be my first Iceman, I'm carpooling with AL on Friday.  I'll be running the full rigid steel Niner in 1x9 with Ralph rear, Ron front just like Otter.  I'm going to need new booties at a minimum.  Everything else should be OK.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Lemmy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »
Well, working on the second batch of goulash and mac and cheese. pulled pork is already done. Thinking that I should load the bike now. Last I forget :P . Oh, Ralph's front and rear.... Campsite will be close to the showerhouse. Qtter will know where.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »
Make sure to stop by the IMBA tent and say hi to our Regional Director, Andy Williamson. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »
Make sure to stop by the IMBA tent and say hi to our Regional Director, Andy Williamson.

will do

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:53:07 AM »
Well, how did everybody do at Iceman?

2:19:20 for me.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »
Disappointing race for me as I think I overthought the race.  I was 7 minutes slower than last year at 2:09.  I had put a 12/27 road cassette on my bike thinking I could push a big gear the entire race and ended up fading badly at the end as I went to the well too often, powering over climbs. I was hoping to break 2 hours this year and went the other way.
On the plus side, except for those 2 hours, I had a great time. A group of 7 of us went up and enjoyed the atmosphere immensely.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:18:08 AM by Fett »

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »
Although not my best race, had a blast as usual.  Rode a 2:17 but probably left 5-10 minutes out on the course.  It's amazing, I've raced the Leadville 100 the last 2 years and been fine (relatively speaking)...but put me on the course at Iceman and just wait for the cramps to kick in!  Happened again this year with roughly 15km left and had to take it easy the last several km's.  One thing I really enjoyed this year was the additional single track they've added.  The course, although still very fast, is starting to look more MTB'ish and less like a road race on dirt, which is good IMO. 

Either way, love heading to Traverse City every November and I can't wait until next year!

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
I enjoyed my first Iceman, riding a 2:34:29 feeling tired but not drained.  I had quite a bit to eat that morning, 1.5 bananas, a piece of homemade pumpkin bread, then a pancake bearkfast in the tire shop. I started in the 34th wave with all the other geezers, got a great start, but after a half hour began passing stragglers from the previous waves.  Then it slowed to a maddening crawl through the first section of singletrack.

I thoroughly enjoyed riding the sandy trails!  I never once got squirrely in the turns.  I did have a really fun time on one section, the long gradual descent just before the steepest nastiest climb.  I was passing a string of riders on the left down the descent, then came into a left-hand turn that had two bermed lines.  I was going so fast, I got committed to the inside line which was a fairly deep rut.  I stomped hard on the outside pedal, rode through the berm and shot out the other end without crashing!  I got a nice compliment from the rider who I had just passed and who took the outside line.

The last 3k was nice too, and I was amazed at the finish.  The entire event was extremely well organized, and everyone was very friendly.  I came away with the impression that Michiganders really know how to enjoy outdoor sports.  What was the most enjoyable wsa how the whole experience reminded me of traveling to do a fall marathon back in my running days.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »
Even starting in Wave 12 the singletrack was agonizingly slow.

The goulash was good, BTW.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links