//Trail Status mouse over Java // Yellowwood Trail Developement Saturday Oct 19th: 10:00AM

Author Topic: Yellowwood Trail Developement Saturday Oct 19th: 10:00AM  (Read 1695 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Yellowwood Trail Developement Saturday Oct 19th: 10:00AM
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
We have some work to do to the trails used during the Breakdown in order to open them to the public. 

The first area that needs rerouting is the climb up out of Lucas Hollow (heading South).  We need to move the trail out of the clear cut area, as there is a long term study going on in that area.  The Hoosier Excosystem Experiment (HEE) is a Purdue University program the studies the best practices for managing Indiana's hardwood forests.  Learn more here: http://www3.ag.purdue.edu/programs/hee/Pages/research.aspx

This is good for us, as trying to fight back the briars in the clear cut area would have been tough.  So we are going to be laying out a new trail alignment.

If time allows, we will also head over to Crooked Creek Lake and look at the bottom of the trails we used for the Breakdown.  While the Southern trail was scary fun to descend, long term we will need to put some switch backs into it to keep it sustainable.  We will be sure to keep it technical.  Also need to start looking at a lake side loop.

If there are any experienced trail designers out there, we can break into teams.  Please let me know if you are planning to attend, so I can provide you with information ahead of time.

If you are not experienced at trail design, it would be a great opportunity to see how trails are developed.  It is also a great way to get an inside look at Yellowwood State Forest.

We will be meeting at the Belmont Girl Scout Camp at 10:00AM and riding bikes to the areas we will be flagging trails.  You will either want to have mtb shoes that are comfortable to hike in, or ride with hiking shoes in a back pack.  We will be doing some bush whacking, so long pants or leg warmers (looks like a cool day) may be nice.

I plan to be out in the woods most of the day, but you can stay as long you want. 

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

DeepVI

• View Profile
Re: Yellowwood Trail Developement Saturday Oct 19th: 10:00AM
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »
I'm in.  Love me some bushwacking, trail flagging fun.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Unfit Nitwit

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »
I should be up for it.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 07:25:46 AM »
Trail layout is still on for today.  Bring rain gear.  10:00AM at the Belmont camp.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links