Other Great Indiana MTB Trails > Other- North

salamonie trails

(1/2) > >>

juggalo:
Anyone know who maintains the trails at the salamonie resavoir?  I called the office and all they knew was that hmba had something to do with it.

AL:
I would guess Nimba
http://nimba-bike.org/

Very fun trail

Paul_Arlinghaus:
The Salamonie trails were build prior to HMBA being formed.  They were built and are maintained by local mountain bikers.  The local riders are not part of any IMBA group (NIMBA, HMBA, or NITRO).

The DNR has expressed interest in developing more trails at Salamonie in the past, but Salamonie is not close to any large organized mtb group.  I tried to get riders from Fort Wayne interested, but it was a tough sell do to the distance between Fort Wayne and Salamonie.

Other than a small group of local riders, I have not been able to generate much interest in the trails at Salamonie.

Expanding the trails at Salamonie would require the approval of the State Park leadership, and I am not sure that local riders at Salamonie are organized enough to convince the DNR to take on trail expansion. 

juggalo:
maybe we can get it going again.  I sent an email to the guy that paul pm'd me.  The snowmobile guys have a 40 mile loop there!  It's all mostly boring grass track though.  There used to be a trail at the huntington lake too, it was mostly open field riding too.  It would awesome if they would let some people that actually ride build a 20+ mile loop out there.

Dave G.:

--- Quote from: juggalo on October 11, 2013, 02:54:20 PM ---maybe we can get it going again.  I sent an email to the guy that paul pm'd me.  The snowmobile guys have a 40 mile loop there!  It's all mostly boring grass track though.  There used to be a trail at the huntington lake too, it was mostly open field riding too.  It would awesome if they would let some people that actually ride build a 20+ mile loop out there.

--- End quote ---

About three years ago, AL and I rode the trail at Harden Lake at Huntington right before they changed the park status to a fish and wildlife area.  We were one of the last to ride it, since the change in park status meant the trails were closed.  We also rode Salamonie and while the snowmobile trails had their moments, they were uninspiring.  Most of the snowmobile trails are flat land that skirts the farmland fields.  Fun for snowmobiles, but not so much for bikes.  There was a separate bike/hike loop of about 4-5 miles that had potential, but it had no real elevation change.   It was worth the trip to say we did them, but not really a destination to ride (unless one was up there anyway to camp or go boating).

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version