//Trail Status mouse over Java // salamonie trails

Author Topic: salamonie trails  (Read 4713 times)

juggalo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
salamonie trails
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:40:11 AM »
Anyone know who maintains the trails at the salamonie resavoir?  I called the office and all they knew was that hmba had something to do with it.

AL

• Volunteer and help build Mountain Bike Trails!!!
    • View Profile
Re: salamonie trails
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »
I would guess Nimba
http://nimba-bike.org/

Very fun trail

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »
The Salamonie trails were build prior to HMBA being formed.  They were built and are maintained by local mountain bikers.  The local riders are not part of any IMBA group (NIMBA, HMBA, or NITRO).

The DNR has expressed interest in developing more trails at Salamonie in the past, but Salamonie is not close to any large organized mtb group.  I tried to get riders from Fort Wayne interested, but it was a tough sell do to the distance between Fort Wayne and Salamonie.

Other than a small group of local riders, I have not been able to generate much interest in the trails at Salamonie.

Expanding the trails at Salamonie would require the approval of the State Park leadership, and I am not sure that local riders at Salamonie are organized enough to convince the DNR to take on trail expansion. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

juggalo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
maybe we can get it going again.  I sent an email to the guy that paul pm'd me.  The snowmobile guys have a 40 mile loop there!  It's all mostly boring grass track though.  There used to be a trail at the huntington lake too, it was mostly open field riding too.  It would awesome if they would let some people that actually ride build a 20+ mile loop out there.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
maybe we can get it going again.  I sent an email to the guy that paul pm'd me.  The snowmobile guys have a 40 mile loop there!  It's all mostly boring grass track though.  There used to be a trail at the huntington lake too, it was mostly open field riding too.  It would awesome if they would let some people that actually ride build a 20+ mile loop out there.

About three years ago, AL and I rode the trail at Harden Lake at Huntington right before they changed the park status to a fish and wildlife area.  We were one of the last to ride it, since the change in park status meant the trails were closed.  We also rode Salamonie and while the snowmobile trails had their moments, they were uninspiring.  Most of the snowmobile trails are flat land that skirts the farmland fields.  Fun for snowmobiles, but not so much for bikes.  There was a separate bike/hike loop of about 4-5 miles that had potential, but it had no real elevation change.   It was worth the trip to say we did them, but not really a destination to ride (unless one was up there anyway to camp or go boating).

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
They have a dedicated MTB trail called Kintionki.  DNR site says it's 5 1/2 miles.  We camped at the lake back in June and I gave it a try but it was just after some storms and heavy rains, there were many downed trees and some sections were still too wet to ride.  It appears that someone pays attention to it as there were some man made features.  I think the trail has potential and while the existing does not have much elevation change there is some elevation that could be realized around  the lake and or river.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

rangelinenaturepreserve

• Should be riding....
  • One is never truely lost when on two wheels.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »
It is probably closer to 4.5 miles.  I don't know exact mileage because I've never ridden just Kintionki by itself. But my guesstimation is less than 5.5.  Nonetheless, it is still a fun trail. A great mix of fast, twisty, logs, and jumps.  The forest is mature so there's lots of canopy to provide shade.  Only the short section of the Bloodroot Trail that connects the two ends of Kintionki (making it a loop) are sunny.  Many nice views of the reservoir from the trail.  There are no arrows indicating direction, but it flows best clockwise. The jumps and signs are set up that way.
If you wait for good weather to ride in Indiana you will be waiting forever.

john7722

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
A few of us went up and trimmed & weed whacked almost all of the new trail. The last part of the older trail (kintionki) has not been trimmed. All in all! The trails are in very good shape. A few of the log overs need some attention though. If you have not rode the new trail! ( the builders call it "Insanity" You are missing out on a 16/18 mile kick your Ass ride! Add the Blood Root trail & Snow trails for more miles or a cool down. I am Riding it tomorrow around 130 if anyone's got the time.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links