//Trail Status mouse over Java // shifting problems

Author Topic: shifting problems  (Read 5953 times)

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: shifting problems
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
I'm kinda digging up bones here but after reading about everyone's fixes for their cables and spending a ton of money on them I figured I'd throw in my easy cheap fix.  I always had problems with my cables and the shifting on my bike and was just about to switch to sealed cables but I figured I'd try one more thing first.  I bought a grease needle that attaches to a tube of grease and filled the cable housings before pushing the cable in.  Yes, most of the grease comes out when I push the cable in but what does stay in there lubes the cable forever and seals out the dust, moisture and mud.  I've been running the same extremely cheap cables and housings for over 2 years now without a single problem.  Before this I was changing my cables and housings a few times a year and fighting shifting problems constantly.  Not sure this would fix anyone else's problems but it fixed mine and was ultra cheap!

Doug

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »

Last week I brought the bike in for an early spring tune up. The mechanic said that he was aware that the bike wasnít shifting properly and he wanted to try his hand at fixing it (this was one of the two LBS's that had worked on the bike last summer / fall although this particular mechanic had not looked at it yet). He went through the usual possibilities (hanger, derailleur, cables etc) but couldn't find anything that appeared to be wrong. He then decided to start replacing parts one at a time until he found what was causing the malfunction. He thought it was the derailleur itself. When he replaced the old one with a new one everything seemed to work smoothly on the stand.

I haven't given the bike a real test ride yet, but the mechanic was confident that the problem is fixed (he did a test ride around the parking lot).  I'm hoping he is right, although a parking lot ride is short, clean, and easy.....

Thanks again to all that contributed their thoughts and suggestions. Itís certainly shown me the complexity of a mountain bike and the camaraderie of mountain bikers.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:39:21 AM by Mahk »
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
I've ridden numerous times now since that last post and, sad to say, the problem is still there.  Shifting is irregular, inconsistent and unreliable. 

I took it to another LBS, the mechanic replaced all of the cables and housings, said that it needed a new chain (odd since it wasn't that old), replaced that as I waited and then spent 25 or 30 minutes going up and down through the gears while the bike was on a bike stand, rode the bike around a parking lot, fiddled with adjustments, cable length, sprayed the shifter, checked the hanger, the derailleur, the wheel, more adjustments, more spinning on the stand, and, to his credit, said that he still couldn't get it right.  And didn't know why.  He noted that the teeth on the cassette (which also wasn't very old) were sharp, which indicated that something was just a little bit out of alignment.  I wondered out loud if the frame was tweaked and he said that he would call Trek and talk to them. 

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 10:38:31 AM »
I wondered out loud if the frame was tweaked and he said that he would call Trek and talk to them.

With all that you've done and the problem is still there, that seems to be the most likely culprit.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
Long story to the end, but the problem is fixed and all is well. 

Trek balked at looking at the bike, so we were back to fiddling and cussing.  The mechanic (Matt) took the bike out for a ride at BCSP so he could actually see what was happening and he agreed something was way out of whack.  He noted that the new derailleur was actually a step down from the original and wasn't keeping enough tension on the chain, so he replaced that derailleur with one that was similar to the original. 

I took the bike to see if the (second) new derailleur helped at all, but, while there was some marginal improvement, the shifting was still erratic.  The mechanic then decided to replace the shifter.  Problem solved.  Uphill, downhill, muddy, dry, lubed, no lube, it shifts well and stays in gear when I'm not shifting. 

A week or two later, while riding at O'Bannon, the left crank arm fell off.  Matt called Shimano about the crank arm, found it was under warranty and Shimano agreed to replace the crank arm and cover labor as well. 

I wondered if the shifter was also under warranty and called the LBS where I bought the bike.  This was the LBS that had put on the first replacement derailleur which didn't help and which was itself  replaced by Matt.  I explained that the problem had actually been the shifter and asked if that was still under warranty.  They checked their records and said that it was.  They said that if I could get the original derailleur from Matt they would send that back to Shimano and get a replacement.  Much to their credit, and without my asking, they also said that they would take back the derailleur that they had put on (which didn't work) and give me a refund for the part. 

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
It took a while, but is sounds like some pretty good customer service all the way around.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links