//Trail Status mouse over Java // Question re: shifter compatibility

Author Topic: Question re: shifter compatibility  (Read 1016 times)

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
Question re: shifter compatibility
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »
Looking to clarify options as I've probably simplified it too much in my head.

I have an older bike with a 3x7 drivetrain. The front shifter is shot and needs to be replaced. Assuming I get proper cable length and handlebar diameter fit, beyond that wouldn't any 3x front shifter be able to be installed on that bike? If not, what am I missing/why not? I would expect to leave the front derailleur intact and not change it out.

Even if this is correct and a workable solution, any additional considerations I should bear in mind?

Thanks for your input.

~Yet another Dave

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: Question re: shifter compatibility
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:35:41 PM »
I believe you are correct. Front "3x" shifters are the pretty universal.   
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
so long as you keep with the same number of speeds, yes, I do believe 3x front shifters are pretty cross-compatible.

Meaning, don't toss a 3x shifter from a 9spd or 10spd drivetrain on your 3x7 and you should be fine.  Narrower chains mean tighter chainring spacing, and therefore differences in derailleur cage movement and different indexing in the shifter.  Chains for 7 and 8spd are the same width, IIRC.

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »
so long as you keep with the same number of speeds, yes, I do believe 3x front shifters are pretty cross-compatible.

Meaning, don't toss a 3x shifter from a 9spd or 10spd drivetrain on your 3x7 and you should be fine.  Narrower chains mean tighter chainring spacing, and therefore differences in derailleur cage movement and different indexing in the shifter.  Chains for 7 and 8spd are the same width, IIRC.

This is what I needed to hear. I've read it before but it slipped my mind. I'll avoid chasing my tail and not reuse my 3x10 shifter on this older 3x7 bike.

Chain thickness & shifting index- got it.

~Yet another Dave

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links