//Trail Status mouse over Java // HP loop?

Author Topic: HP loop?  (Read 3639 times)

indyshred

• View Profile
HP loop?
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:19:10 AM »
Thought I saw some post a while back about there being a HP loop in the works. I know everyone is in BC breakdown mode, but can anyone provide info? Thanks

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: HP loop?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »
We are in the final steps of getting approval for the next phase of trails at Brown County.  The next wave will include beginner, intermediate, expert trails, as well as a flow trail.  There will be an HP East as well as several other ways to connect from HP to Green Valley and Aynes.

I hope to formally announce the next phase at the Break Down.

We are also working with State Forests to open routes in the near future at Yellowwood and are working to create a connection between BCSP and Yellowwood.  Yellowwood already has a trail that goes down towards Nebo, so we would have a very large interconnected trail network.

Keep in mind that as we gain access to State Forests, there will likely be a mtb trail permit system put in place. 

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Hyperious

• Old School air
    • View Profile
    • Tri-County Cycling
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
"Keep in mind that as we gain access to State Forests, there will likely be a mtb trail permit system put in place."

Went to Nebo for a group ride a couple weeks ago. Stopped by Story Inn to buy my trail pass. Was old "we are out and have been for over a week, and we have called and let them know"

That system need some polishing. Or easier access to permit purchasing.

But the trail expansions sound great keep up the great work Paul and Company!!
Info for riding in Greene, Clay, Sullivan and Vigo Counties.
www.tri-countycycling.webs.com

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
Several shops in town sell them. You also went right by another on your way to Story on 135, Trail Time Tack?,small store with supplies and horses hangin out. Also at Stonehead you can turn left to PikesPeak and go to Crouch's market. Story Inn has never been the go to on passes, probably more their lack of effort than the NFS.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:07:19 PM by Bigdaddy »

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »
Yup I take a left and go to the small store about a mile down  they always have passes.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:30 AM »
Several shops in town sell them. You also went right by another on your way to Story on 135, Trail Time Tack?,small store with supplies and horses hangin out. Also at Stonehead you can turn left to PikesPeak and go to Crouch's market. Story Inn has never been the go to on passes, probably more their lack of effort than the NFS.

I've had the same experience at Story.  Didn't know those two places were options.  Thanks!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:18:40 PM »
"Keep in mind that as we gain access to State Forests, there will likely be a mtb trail permit system put in place."

Went to Nebo for a group ride a couple weeks ago. Stopped by Story Inn to buy my trail pass. Was old "we are out and have been for over a week, and we have called and let them know"

That system need some polishing. Or easier access to permit purchasing.

But the trail expansions sound great keep up the great work Paul and Company!!

To be fair, the system yet-to-be-developed that Paul mentioned is for STATE forest, while the situation you described is for the US Forest Service land.  Different management entities, different systems, different results.  I hope this system is well integrated with the State Parks pass system.  If a joint annual pass was offered, I'd buy it on the first of the year.  My parks pass paid for itself in 3 weeks this year.  Even if I visited state forests relatively rarely, a joint pass would still pay for itself within a couple of months, tops.

ScottC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
How does the permit for US Forest land work?  Is it similar to a fishing license that you need to have available if stopped?  Or, is there some type of check in required before you ride?  What is the duration of the passes?

yellowrocketbike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
It is a permit that you simply need to have with you if you are stopped, there isn't any type of check-in. I haven't been stopped and checked for a long time, but after the problems that I went through several years ago getting caught without one (hefty fine paid through a federal court), it won't happen again. Since Tipsaw is my closest trail, and I ride it often, I usually pick up an annual permit early in the year. An annual tag cost $35.00 and are good for one calendar year expiring Dec. 31. Day use tags cost $5.00

Shane Pettiner

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »
It is a permit that you simply need to have with you if you are stopped, there isn't any type of check-in. I haven't been stopped and checked for a long time, but after the problems that I went through several years ago getting caught without one (hefty fine paid through a federal court), it won't happen again. Since Tipsaw is my closest trail, and I ride it often, I usually pick up an annual permit early in the year. An annual tag cost $35.00 and are good for one calendar year expiring Dec. 31. Day use tags cost $5.00

Can you expand on your prior troubles? How did you get caught? What exactly happened? Maybe inform those who think about skirting the laws.

quadracer12

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »
Was there any other announcement other than what Paul said in the second post? I just rode and left sunday.

yellowrocketbike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:45 PM »

Can you expand on your prior troubles? How did you get caught? What exactly happened? Maybe inform those who think about skirting the laws.

My prior problems happened at Tipsaw lake. One year (about 9 years ago), I didn't ride my mtb much (turned into a roadie, what was I thinkin'!), so I never purchased a permit. Late in the season, I got a wild one and decided to take a lap, or two at Tipsaw. I usually park on the "back side" off of Limestone road instead of the trail head near the pay station, so I am about half way around when I reach the trail head parking lot. When I rode up there, a National Forest Law Enforcement officer was sitting there in his Suburban. After exchanging pleasantries he ask to see my permit which, of course, I didn't have. My two under 17 sons were with me as well and he ask to see their id's to confirm their age. He wrote me a ticket for riding without a permit, which I was to mail to a federal court in Tennessee. Well, for some reason they didn't get my check, or at least it didn't get recorded. It took me almost two months of sending copies of my check, and a statement from the bank showing the deposited check, and payment before I was finally cleared, and a warrant for my arrest (for failure to appear!) was revoked. All in all it cost me about a hundred bucks, and a lot of grief. $35 bucks for a permit I consider pretty cheap now.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links