//Trail Status mouse over Java // Seized Bottom Bracket

Author Topic: Seized Bottom Bracket  (Read 1337 times)

richmondrider

• View Profile
Seized Bottom Bracket
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:05 AM »
My dad loves his '96 Giant Sedona which is a steel framed mtb that I have converted into a hybrid.  It needed a new bottom bracket, and that is where my problems began.  I can't tell you if the crank has ever been off this bike, so right off the bat the threads pulled out of the drive side crank arm.  I had to beat the crank arm with a dead blow hammer and in the process destroyed the crank, good thing I have a spare.  So now I can't get the bottom bracket to move, the non-drive side cup is froze solid. I have soaked it with PB blaster for the past two days and still no luck.  Any ideas?

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: Seized Bottom Bracket
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
My dad loves his '96 Giant Sedona which is a steel framed mtb that I have converted into a hybrid.  It needed a new bottom bracket, and that is where my problems began.  I can't tell you if the crank has ever been off this bike, so right off the bat the threads pulled out of the drive side crank arm.  I had to beat the crank arm with a dead blow hammer and in the process destroyed the crank, good thing I have a spare.  So now I can't get the bottom bracket to move, the non-drive side cup is froze solid. I have soaked it with PB blaster for the past two days and still no luck.  Any ideas?

You are aware that the threading on bottom bracket shells  is like the pedals, i.e. each side spins a different way?
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »
You are aware that the threading on bottom bracket shells  is like the pedals, i.e. each side spins a different way?
[/quote]

I've gone down down that road.  Thank goodness Shimano now has arrows for those of us who forget. 

I'm assuming it's an old square taper BB.  The non-drive side should come out first, that's the cup.  It turns CCW.  The drive-side is the BB unit itself.  That turns CW.  Video for visual reference.  

As to the seized part.  Heating might be an option.  But I'd find the longest cheater bar I could.  I've also heard of clamping the BB tool in a vise and rotating the frame around the tool.  Especially helpful if the splines on the BB are a little stripped.  Good luck!

2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
If all else fails surgery with a dremel (with the right attachements) has saved me in the past.  Some gentle cuts into the threaded cups (not deep enough to hit the frame threads) can relieve some of the bite of the seized parts.  Dremel makes a couple different types of cutting wheels and die grinder ends to take metal away.  With enough patients I would think you could get the old BB out without damage to the frame.

Chris

richmondrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:29:29 AM »
I spent two hours last night with the tool locked in a vise and using the bike as a lever and was able to work the non-drive side cup about 3/4 of the way out before the teeth in the cup finally gave out.  I am heading to a buddy's auto repair shop today to add some heat and see if there are any tools he may have that can help get it out. This has been a lesson in patience.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links