//Trail Status mouse over Java // Preferred Tire for Indy Trails

Author Topic: Preferred Tire for Indy Trails  (Read 2025 times)

RallyPunx

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Preferred Tire for Indy Trails
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:37:02 PM »
I have been riding an old GT XCR 2000 for the last few years and recently have experienced a few front tire washouts, which resulted in me losing confidence on the grip provided by the front tire. I relocated here two years ago from Texas where tires with big knobs where preferred, as the trail surface was not as nice and smooth as the trails here (Town Run and Ft. Harrison). I want to get new tires, but don't know which type of tire works best on the local trails here. Can someone give me some recomendations on what type (not brand) of tire works well in this area?

trbsami

• Training wheels on
  • HMBA Member
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred Tire for Indy Trails
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01:25 PM »
The guys that pass me are running a rounded profile, light weight casing with many small, low profile knobs: Specialized Sworks Renegade, SB8, etc.  Seems to give more ground contact which helps with the hardpack, esp at TRTP.
Niner Air 9/ 1x10/ Midge drop bar/ 700Cx40
2015 Trek Stache 9.  29x3.0!

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:50 AM »
I'm running Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and they are pretty good.
Still haven't found a hardpack tire that works better for my bike than the
Maxxis Crossmarks it came with.
I am using UST tires.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:46 AM »
I've ran geak aka, mountina kings and so far the. Ground control and purgatory on my stumpy have been my favorite. The other 2 I ran on my hard tail.
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:28:20 AM »
I was running a pair of Kenda Small Block 8's.  A really great tire.  Break loose predictably and like to be leaned over.  The rear wore out and I'm trying a Bontrager XR1 Team Issue.  It wasn't working as a rear, so I swapped to the front and but the SB8 on the back.  So far, so good.  I find the XR1 has to be pushed into corners a little harder than the SB8 on the loose over hard pack.  If you just started washing out, it could also be a body positioning issue.  You want to be over the front of the bike to drive the front tire into the ground in corners.  It's understandable that if you've eaten it a few times, you tend to get a little timid and keep your weight back so you don't go OTB.  Like Trbsami mentioned it seems like small, close knobs seems to be the ticket. 
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
In Indy, just about any micro-knobby tire would be good for the local hardpack this time of year.

I like to go different places, sometimes with rougher trails, so I ride something with a little more grip.  I've got a set of 1st gen Mtn Kings (with the triangular knobs).  When they wear out, I will probably switch to some X-Kings, as they seem to have a more similar tread pattern to what I have that works well for me.

As for washouts, I like to run a high volume tire and a lower pressure to get more rubber in contact with the ground.  Currently, I have a 2.4 on the front (it's a small 2.4) and usually run it around 27 or 28 PSI (I'm about 170lbs).  A more true-to-size 2.4 would probably be a bit much, but I've seen the 2.2 X-Kings installed and they look about right for what I'd want.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
In Indy, just about any micro-knobby tire would be good for the local hardpack this time of year.

As for washouts, I like to run a high volume tire and a lower pressure to get more rubber in contact with the ground.  Currently, I have a 2.4 on the front (it's a small 2.4) and usually run it around 27 or 28 PSI (I'm about 170lbs).  A more true-to-size 2.4 would probably be a bit much, but I've seen the 2.2 X-Kings installed and they look about right for what I'd want.

Good point about TP and tire volume. The Bontrager I'm running is a 2.2 and the SB8 is a 2.1, I'm running tubeless with TP's is the 23-25 range.   A larger volume tire say 2.2 and larger will have a larger tread footprint.  Tire manufactures are also part of the equation.  For instance, Kenda run fat, really fat.  Continental run fat in a 2.4 but narrow in a 2.2.  Maxxis run narrow.  Shwalbe run about true to size as does Bontrager.  There's also internal rim width to add yet another part of the tire equation.  Running too wide of a tire on too narrow of a rim can lead to the tire folding over in corners.  The wider rim with a narrower tire can lead to an overall larger tire footprint.  There's a growing trend of rim manufactures making wider rims to take this into consideration.  Suspension also plays a factor, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
Here's a great article on PinkBike explaining the corollation between rim and tire width. [size=78%]http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday--Wider-Rims-Are-Better-and-Why-Tubeless-Tires-Burp-.html[/size]
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »

As for washouts, I like to run a high volume tire and a lower pressure to get more rubber in contact with the ground. 

Me too ;)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

RallyPunx

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
Thanks for all the information. I had an idea of the type of tire that would work best in this area, but I just wanted some consensus from the local riders. 

I think the few washouts occurred for two reasons, I was riding on the wrong tires (big knobs) for the terrain and my riding skills and physical fitness improved quite a bit this summer and I have been running significantly faster. I will take body position into consideration as well from now on. Again, thanks.

Steel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 12:06:14 AM »
I know a lot of guys use mountain kings
'11 Specialized Camber Expert
'95 Cannondale Killer V 500
and looking...

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
For dry hardpack, I have been running a Maxxis Aspen on the front and a Stan's Raven on the back. The Raven is unbelievably fast rolling on hardpack.  It is pretty condition specific and, with low pressure, it grips very well. Once things get looser or wetter, I switch to an Aspen on the back. I have run SB8s and I think the Aspens do everything a little bit better, particularly cornering grip.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

ryantrek

• Patches, the marble jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »
 I have ridden my WTB Wolverine's since I got my bike. I really like the tire. Not the fastest rolling tire in the world, but the cornering grip is pretty awesome considering I'm a little south of 240 lbs. I can carry some really great speed through the trail, and still be able to lean pretty hard through the corners.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »
If you want to keep brands out of the equation an "XC race" tire is perfect for Town Run when it is riding fast, as other guys have essentially stated. That's the easiest way to say it.

I keep one setup on my Epic, which of course, is an XC race bike. I run a Specialized S-Works Fast Trak 2.0 on the front and the Control Fast Trak on the rear, also a 2.0. I put the control on the rear since the casing is stronger and resists cuts better than the S-Works.  In the DINO race series, courses like French Lick, Versailles SP and France Park warranted the Control in the back, in my opinion, even with the Control being a bit heavier.

Running a 2.2 on the front and a 2.0 on the back has been recommended to me by guys that are faster than me (like sub 28 minute Town Run times).  I kept the 2.0 S-Sowrks on the front since I have two of them.  If I were starting from scratch I would do the 2.2 in the front.  This echoes what some guys are saying here about tire volume. More important on the front than the rear though.

That's my take. Other guys here have listed some great tires as well.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
Yeah, I like having a wide tire on the front.  The more traction you have in the front, the harder you can rail the corners.  Certainly for racing, having a lighter tire in back helps with acceleration.

I currently have a 2.2 (it's a narrow 2.2, probably closer to a 2.0 in most other brands) in back and it works okay for me.  That said, it's wearing a LOT faster than the front.  I'd like to be able to move that tire to the front and swap the front to the rear to get more miles out of that tire...but riding a bigger tire in back is kinda the opposite of what you want.

So I'll wear that tire down...not sure if it'll last till the end of the season or not...and then I'll replace both and run the same width front and rear so I can rotate my tires.  I care less about speed and lap times.  I just like staying rubber side down as much as I can and I prefer for my wrecks to be due to skill (or lack thereof) rather than equipment.

I also plan to try out tubeless ready tires my next go around.  I've been tubeless for awhile, and I'm a convert...but I've been on UST tires, which are much heavier (and very expensive).

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links