//Trail Status mouse over Java // Electric assist

Author Topic: Electric assist  (Read 6542 times)

luv2hunt

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Electric assist
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »
Are the electric assist bikes legal for the mountain bike trails on state and federal ground.... like nebo ridge...combs road... thanks

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
Re: Electric assist
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Good question.  I have no idea.  Although going by the latest ones I saw at Grey Goat, you would end up pedaling a 50 plus pound bike around more than using the electric part.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

quadracer12

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
Per the DNR mtb policy

A. "Mountain bike" defined     
The term "mountain bike" refers to non-motorized bicycles designed or used for off-road travel.   

Motor covers gas as well as electric.  I am not aware of any mtb trails in Indiana that would allow electric bikes.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
It seems like the ebike industry is trying hard to promote ebikes for mountain biking.  Just like State Parks, Hoosier National prohibits motorized vehicles from its trails and development roads.

ORDER NO. 09-12-01
 ORDER OF THE FOREST SUPERVISOR
 SETTING FORTH RESTRICTIONS AND CONDITIONS OF MOTOR VEHICLE USE
 HOOSIER NATIONAL FOREST
Pursuant to the Secretary of Agriculture's Regulations 36 CFR 261.50 (a) and (b), the following acts or
omissions are prohibited on the area, roads, and trails within the Hoosier National Forest.
1. Use of a motorized vehicle on Forest development roads posted closed to motorized vehicles. [36 CFR
261.54 (a)]
2. Operating a motor vehicle in violation of posted speed limits on any Forest development road. [36 CFR
261.54 (d)]
3. Operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol on a Forest development road or trail.
[36 CFR 261.54 (d)]
4. Operating a motor on a Forest development road in violation of any State of Indiana traffic or vehicle law.
[36 CFR 261.54 (d)]
5. Operating a vehicle carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the rights or safety of other persons or in
a manner or at a speed that would endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property. [36 CFR
261.54 (f)]
6. Possessing or using a motorized vehicle on Forest development trails. [36 CFR 261.55 (b)]
7. Possessing or using a vehicle off Forest development roads. [36 CFR 261.56]
8. Parking or leaving a vehicle in violation of a posted sign or instructions. [36 CFR 261.58 (g)]
These restrictions are necessary for public safety and to protect National Forest resources.
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (e) the following persons are exempt from this order:
1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
2. Any Federal, State, or local officer involved in National Forest administration, law enforcement, search
and rescue, or fire fighting in performance of an official duty.
Violation of the prohibitions of this Order are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000.00 or imprisonment
for not more than six (6) months or both under authority of 16 USC 551.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »
While federal/state/local agencies may prohibit electric assist mtb's on mtb trails, it may be worth inquiring about riding on trails on private land.

Also, trails with ORV use would certainly be permissible, but I'd want to find a place used more by dirt bikes instead of ATV's, and one that doesn't get trashed for jollies.

I have ridden ATV trails in Utah that were fantastic rides, but the stuff I've tried in this part of the country has been garbage.

There is some stuff down near Evansville on formerly strip mined land that might be okay with e-assist mtb's, also.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »
Nate,  the former mine that you are talking about is Interlake State Recreation Area. It is open to motorized off road vehicles.  Here is a link to info on it:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4226.htm
Also, Redbird State Recreation Area:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/4225.htm
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 06:45:14 AM »
You may be able to ride at Badlands near Attica. Its a motocross park but could be suitable for e-bikes.

Sent from my XT555C using Tapatalk 2

David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Hyperious

• Old School air
    • View Profile
    • Tri-County Cycling
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:32:47 AM »
I rode Redbird last weekend for the Gateway to Outdoor Recreation event.
http://www.gcdailyworld.com/story/2104616.html

I am still scouting decent mtb routes. But they would allow electric assist bikes. Not sure what the gate fee would be. Its 5 for a regular bike and 10 for MX/ATV.

Carman the property manager wants mtb trails and usage out there so check it out. And give me a pm I can meet you there sometime and show you what I have found so far.

Rich
Info for riding in Greene, Clay, Sullivan and Vigo Counties.
www.tri-countycycling.webs.com

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
Did I not post this question back in April after returning from Sea Otter?  Just returned from the World Cup at Mount Ste Anne.  Spent some time in VT.  I think there is a motorcycle/atv area around Norman, IN.  Found it when the road was closed.

thebeatgoeson

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »
Very blanket policy and really discrimanates agaisnt folks with health issues who ride. I have ridden for years with serious heart issues and I know others out there have done this also. Riding is a great way to stay involved and keep a positive attitude while battling heart disease. Not talking healthy people turning singletrack into dirt bike trails. Elec. Assist is evolving rapidly. Vivax has a system that is virtually undetectable without very close inspection and weighs around 5 lbs. No doubt better systems are coming. For someone like me I want a bit of help climbing and that's it. With a third of my heart dead, a pacemaker, defibrillator, stent and 100% dependent I credit riding, climbing, swimming and lifting weights with still being alive. The good feelings I get from riding are very valuable in staying healthy as possible. More thought needs to be put into a better policy. Like you I don't want to see lazy people on motorbikkes on the trails but there are those of us that can use a little assist. Just my 2 cents.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »
Very blanket policy and really discrimanates agaisnt folks with health issues who ride. I have ridden for years with serious heart issues and I know others out there have done this also. Riding is a great way to stay involved and keep a positive attitude while battling heart disease. Not talking healthy people turning singletrack into dirt bike trails. Elec. Assist is evolving rapidly. Vivax has a system that is virtually undetectable without very close inspection and weighs around 5 lbs. No doubt better systems are coming. For someone like me I want a bit of help climbing and that's it. With a third of my heart dead, a pacemaker, defibrillator, stent and 100% dependent I credit riding, climbing, swimming and lifting weights with still being alive. The good feelings I get from riding are very valuable in staying healthy as possible. More thought needs to be put into a better policy. Like you I don't want to see lazy people on motorbikkes on the trails but there are those of us that can use a little assist. Just my 2 cents.

If you feel this way, you need to start working with the IDNR to develop a plan for allowing use of e-bikes for those with medical issues.  The current rules prohibit e-bikes.  As a mountain bike advocate I am not too inclined to fight this battle for you.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »

To convince the policymakers to update that policy, I think you're going to have to help them easily distinguish between pedal assist options that still make you work and don't get you up to speeds that endanger other trail users (a power limitation, maybe?), and those shady internet-available kits that turn your bike into a glorified electric motorcycle with gobs of power and "Ludicrous Speed" options.

I can't really blame policymakers for using a very conservative blanket policy when the options range from stuff that's entirely reasonable and unnoticeable to crazy overpowered kits that let you push a button to go, and no easy way for the staff on the ground to distinguish between them.

thebeatgoeson

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
Paul, I don't remember asking you to fight any battle for me. Glad you are a bike advocate, you apparently are not much of a people advocate. Hope you never have to retire from riding due to an issue that could be compensated for with technology. After all that would be cheating and somehow impose upon the healthy studs in the cycling world. Guess the idea of a person using technology to stay healthy and keep riding instead of wasting away or giving up is not a worthy idea. See you on the trails, I 'll be on a Vespa.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links