//Trail Status mouse over Java // Root Hill

Author Topic: Root Hill  (Read 7655 times)

pmanderson

• View Profile
Root Hill
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
I'm expanding my "loop" to include more trails. The last bit of expert is a great ride however to enter you must pass the test, Root Hill.

What's the secret? How can you get up it without falling back. I have a hard enough time climbing it without sliding down.

Anyways, you guys do great work and Its given me some adventure in my life. Thanks!

Regards,
Patrick

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
Re: Root Hill
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
Lots of speed in, then a couple power strokes over the top.
I think the trick is getting the right gear - high enough to get speed yet low enough you can push over the top.

Nitainium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
Momentum, momentum momentum.

crazylarry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »
I have yet to roll over that beast in the saddle. I have been so close. I have done everything from clip a tree about 20 ft short of it pedaling like a spider monkey to getting up near the top thinking "this is my time" only to spin out on a root and fall over and slide back down the hill as my egg beaters refuse to release their grip. Just tragic.. :(

john7722

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
holzhausens advice is right on the money.
you guys should a rode it several years ago before the reroute and when the hill was steeper and more rooty.

Nitainium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:12:37 PM »
Yes, the old line was a straight approach with limited space to gain speed. Now you have a 100' or more to get moving and up and over.  Have not missed it once since the reroute :)

pmanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
I'll have to work on practicing it in my head 1st. I want to make it the 1st time, otherwise it's a fall if I don't.

Doogels

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Trail builder-Visionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 04:05:47 PM »
Everyone seems to have a different line thru areas and mine change with conditions and speed. However, I almost always go right of the roots and do a shimmy around the tree at the top with 2 pedal strokes up and over. As long as you make the turn up the hill go as fast as you can pedal. Good luck!
To experience Nature is exciting! To experience Nature at high speeds through rolling terrain on a Mountain Bike...."Now that is Living!" Twitter @RNPmtnbker

rangelinenaturepreserve

• Should be riding....
  • One is never truely lost when on two wheels.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »
The roots broke away and are gone.  It's a straight shot with a little momentum now.
If you wait for good weather to ride in Indiana you will be waiting forever.

pmanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
I'll admit. My initial hesitations were purely from the fear of falling back uncontrollably.
I did however work up the nerve and psyche myself up several times before going full-on. As always, it's never as bad as is it appears. I was able to get myself up there on Sunday.

Now I can add and additional mile to my loop.

juggalo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
I have yet to roll over that beast in the saddle. I have been so close. I have done everything from clip a tree about 20 ft short of it pedaling like a spider monkey to getting up near the top thinking "this is my time" only to spin out on a root and fall over and slide back down the hill as my egg beaters refuse to release their grip. Just tragic.. :(
I was having lots of trouble with my eggbeaters releasing too.  i was afraid to even try anything.  i have scars all up and down my legs and elbows from crashes due to not getting out.  I got some time pedals now and they're awesome.  i have had no pedal related crashes since getting them.
I have made it up all the hills out there now and there were a few that i hadn't made yet before getting the new pedals due to fear of not getting out if i didn't make it.

crazylarry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
Juggalo,
For me my egg beater release issue is mainly user error. I tend to spaz when crap hits the fan. This season I have learned to be calm and press down and twist to release my foot. I found SPDs' to be worst for me than egg beaters. I have seen the time pedals , they look interesting. All said,I get much more benefit from being clipped in than not being clipped in.
Take care.

juggalo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
i know what you mean about spazzing, and i think that was my issue too, what i found was though, is that the time pedals still release even when you are spazzing out.  the egg beaters seemed to lock in harder on those panic exits.
guy i ride with has spd, he was having lots of issues too and then got some kind of multi release cleat for them and i guess that helped a lot.

Juggalo,
For me my egg beater release issue is mainly user error. I tend to spaz when crap hits the fan. This season I have learned to be calm and press down and twist to release my foot. I found SPDs' to be worst for me than egg beaters. I have seen the time pedals , they look interesting. All said,I get much more benefit from being clipped in than not being clipped in.
Take care.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
Having ridden all three types, I'll be staying with SPuD's for the foreseeable future.  Started on SPD's back in '98.  In '06 EB's were all the rage so I thought I'd give them a try.  Did not like one thing.  Hard to get in, hard to get out.  That experience was most likely due to 8 yrs of muscle memory.  So I ditched them for Times.  They were merely OK for me.  My biggest complaint is the brass cleat, it wears oh so fast.  My first set of Shimano cleats lasted me 6yrs in all kinds of riding, mostly much and mud.  The springs are also exposed.  In the first few month I bent one.  Didn't seem to affect performance, it was just a peeve.  Also worn down the outside of the plastic body far enough that the pins holding the springs started to work their way out.  Every few rides I'd have to bang them back in.  The problem is solved with some epoxy from time to time(PUN!) Sold those to a friend who still loves them and has been riding them for the last 3yrs.  Been back to SPD's and am a happy boy.  I like that they are all metal, have a tension adjustment, the cleats last forever and if you have knee issues you can get the multi-release.  They give me the best of a predictable release, never do I roll into a situation where I'm apprehensive of being able to get out if things go south. 
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

MikeVK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 04:12:04 PM »
Obviously pedal choice is very individual, people clearly feel comfortable and have better luck with one type of pedal and either stick with it or return to it.  That being said, after reading the comments here I feel obligated to voice my support for Egg Beater and Candy's.  Switching from SPD to EB did more to increase my joy and happiness mountain biking than switching to disk brakes or full suspension.  I've found them much easier to get in and out of than my old SPD's which I was fighting constantly.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links