//Trail Status mouse over Java // Dupont/Pisgah Route advise

Author Topic: Dupont/Pisgah Route advise  (Read 2201 times)

Stoker

• View Profile
Dupont/Pisgah Route advise
« on: September 03, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »
Heading to NC for two days of riding in October.  I know, I know...two days is not nearly enough but that is all the time I will have out there this time around.  The first time we were in the Asheville area, we rode some of the trails at Bent Creek.  This time, we would like to ride Dupont or Pisgah.  I've also read really good things about Kerr Scott Resevoir, so if anyone has ridden there, I'm open to that as well. 
What I am looking for is any type of route advise you guys can give me.   With so many trails, and so little time, I need as much help as I can get planning out a route!
Thanks guys!

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Dupont/Pisgah Route advise
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »
I was in that area in June to break in my new ride. I stretched my planned two days of riding into three and it wasn't nearly enough time. I used www.mtbikewnc.com to help figure out a few places to go. I'd also look at www.mtbproject.com to see what others may recommend. They keep adding new rides and trails.

I did a little bit of Kerr-Scott before the rain set in. It had a Brown County kind of feel to me, or more like the Bent Creek trails I rode. It's 2 1/2 hours or so east of Asheville, but I was in the general vicinity on business, so I rode there before heading to the Brevard area.

In Pisgah at Brevard, I did Black Mountain and descended the Avery Creek trail. That was an interesting ride, with a few white knuckle moments. It started with a long climb, and then it was rocks, roots, ruts and erosion on the way down. I would definitely call it a black diamond type ride, if that's what you are looking for.

I also did the Big Rock/Cedar Rock area at DuPont, which is their slick rock trail. Since I'd ridden the Black Mountain ride earlier in the day, my legs were kind of toasted, so I didn't cover very much more. It seems to be a huge area. There are four or five parking lots with many trails running out of each. When I go back, probably in October, I am hoping to see more of that area. The trails seemed to be more like Kerr-Scott and Bent Creek, or more Brown County-ish.

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
at dupont park at corn meal shoals...big rock and cedar are right there but don't forget to ride the burnt mountain loop as well...those are very short and i typically ride them multiple times in a given day...as for pisgah, if i only had 1 day i'd park at slate cove, climb laurel mtn and descend pilot rock then finish that day with the slate cove/slate rock loop...i prefer black mtn rides in the winter when the bennett gap climb is open (it's seasonal, or at lest used to be)...

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »
If I had not done many of the techy trails in Pisgah before, I would start my first ride at the Fish Hatchery and do the Daniel Loop. It is a great intro into Pisgah Trails. If you want more, take the fire road out of Daniel up to Long Branch and descend it to Butter Gap and back to the Fish Hatchery.

I agree with Chuckdlou that if I only had one one day in Pisgah, I would do Laurel Mountain/Pilot/Slate Cove.

If it is after October 15th, park at the Ranger Station and do Clawhammer, up the stairs at Black Mtn, to Buckwheat and Descend Bennett Gap. If you want more go back up Clawhammer again to Pressley Gap and descend Black Mtn from there.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Stoker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 07:44:18 AM »
Thanks for the advise guys.  Couple of questions...
Why is the Black Mountain stuff seasonal? 
Do you guys recommend any campgrounds near either Pisgah or Dupont?  I see there isn't any camping in Dupont, but there are a few private grounds close by.  At this point I believe we are going to be camping both nights after we ride. 
I'm trying to find a way to get another day of riding in out there, but with a wedding on Saturday, leaving first thing Sunday, and then having hotel reservations in Charleston on Wednesday, time is kinda short.  We will see though. 

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:17:34 AM »
There is a camp ground right across the street from the black mtn trail. There are also several free pull off camp sites along the road if you can find one open.

Black is not seasonal. Bennet is. They are seasonal to let bikers ride them, otherwise they would be hike only.

JMcFly

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • -- everything is a jump --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »
Hey Stoker,
They'll be about 3 or 4 of us riding Pisgah, Dupont and whatever else we jump on Oct 17, 18 and 19.  Would be great to ride together if you're there those days too.  We're novices to the area as well which means we'll all have company when we get lost together.  We're staying at the Black Forest Family Campground in DuPont.  [size=78%]http://www.blackforestcampground.com/RATES.htm[/size] 

Let me know if our dates coincide and you want to meet up on a trail.

Jeff McWilliams
jmcfly5@gmail.com 
"Did I go over my handlebars?"

Stoker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:04:58 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the offer.  Unfortunately we had a pretty narrow window of when we could both get away from work.  We are leaving on the 29th of September and will be back  on the 6th of October.  We are riding a couple days in NC before heading to Foley Beach near Charleston, SC for some relaxing.  It's too bad though because we would love to ride with others from indiana.
The campground you linked to is one of a few that I had been looking in to.  If we decide to stay there, I will let you know how it is! 

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links