//Trail Status mouse over Java // Forum Issues

Author Topic: Forum Issues  (Read 17586 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Forum Issues
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »
I have been working to clean up our forum users.  We had lots of users who had not logged on in the past two years.  Accounts  that had not be logged into for the past 2 years were deleted.  I also am creating a user group for HMBA-IMBA members.  We are trying to see if we can limit some or all forums to HMBA-IMBA members.  If you tried to post today and couldn't, its because I had you in the HMBA-IMBA group, but did not have the permissions set up correctly yet for that user group.  Should be working now.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

smanion

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
So, you are proposing limiting the use of this site to only members of the HMBA or IMBA?  Slippery slope!  I have a lot of fellow riders, some members and some not that look here for trail conditions and upcoming events, etc.  If you were to exclude non members why would they come here to look for trail status updates, etc?

I thought the MTB community was an inclusive group, not exclusive. 

Just because someone does not or cannot pay for a membership does not mean they do not care about what is going on or should be shunned.

I am disappointed in  the very thought of exclusivity.  Just sayin'

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »
Access to the forum is different than access the site.  As I understand it, only the forum would restricted.  The main page, which gives the trail status(Green/Yellow/Red lights) and other info would still be available to everyone, regardless if they support IMBA/HMBA or not. 
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

ryantrek

• Patches, the marble jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »
 I enjoy being able to discuss with other members and arrange rides with other members on this forum. I understand if your stance is that you would like the forum to be only open to HMBA-IMBA members, but really would hope that the decision is given second thought. I enjoy the forum, and at least read every day, if not post as well.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:04 PM »
I would think it would be more difficult to gain a new member if we couldn't point them to the forum and then engage them here prior to club membership.

Now if we're just talking about having to register to see the forum vs viewing as a guest, that's a different discussion.

My inclination is to leave it as I think it is now...a guest may read the forums, but must register to post.

One change might be to limit access to "The Den". This lets guests see trail conditions, group ride invites, work sessions etc. but could require membership to gain access to Items for Sale, Tech Issues, Rants and the like.

I think HMBA growth would be better served by openness, even though "putting on the best face" for land owners may benefit from closer control.

Of course we're only guessing at your thoughts and ideas.

gt ss

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »
There may be (are) some forum users that "give" in different ways such as advocacy and trail maintenance/ building that are not members. I'm sure restrictions would affect those users willingness to give anymore.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:45 PM »
I agree with what all these guys have said. I've riddin with a couple of them. My son works at a LBS and when people come in to get their new mtb he always directs them to here so they can get info on local trails and find people to ride with. 
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »
If it is that important to you join the HMBA / IMBA.  It is only like $35 bucks annually.  How much do you spend on your bike, gear, trips to ride, fuel, ect?  The forum is the best resource for trail info in this state but there is also a lot of BS as well.  And you know what they say, money talks and BS walks.  My point is you can be a member of the forum and post all the stuff you want but the truth is your membership probably has a greater impact on the bottom line, building and maintaining trails.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Steel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »
If it is that important to you join the HMBA / IMBA.  It is only like $35 bucks annually.  How much do you spend on your bike, gear, trips to ride, fuel, ect?  The forum is the best resource for trail info in this state but there is also a lot of BS as well.  And you know what they say, money talks and BS walks.  My point is you can be a member of the forum and post all the stuff you want but the truth is your membership probably has a greater impact on the bottom line, building and maintaining trails.

I understand where you are coming from but some of us (i.e. college students, and many others) might have a job during the summer. Yes we might buy gear and stuff throughout the year but that shouldn't also have to be a $35 fee just to post that I want to go ride here and can someone meet me there.

I have been working to clean up our forum users.  We had lots of users who had not logged on in the past two years.  Accounts  that had not be logged into for the past 2 years were deleted.  I also am creating a user group for HMBA-IMBA members.  We are trying to see if we can limit some or all forums to HMBA-IMBA members.  If you tried to post today and couldn't, its because I had you in the HMBA-IMBA group, but did not have the permissions set up correctly yet for that user group.  Should be working now.

And Paul I understand where you're coming from. It will be a lot easier to keep the forum cleaned up, but honestly it would deeply discourage me when I'm back in Indy working at ICS to let someone that is interested in mountain biking or just bought a new mountain bike to go to the forum and become more educated about our trails if I had to also tell them they have to pay $35 for something that they may lose complete interest in within a month

That's my thoughts so be it
'11 Specialized Camber Expert
'95 Cannondale Killer V 500
and looking...

LEE3

• Do It!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »
All the most successful forums I have been associated with have had a different level of permissions for paying members.  Different permissions really help the moderators to relax a little bit.  It helps knowing that you aren't having to instantly filter everything from the public.   I'm not saying this is Paul's goal. I just know the system works and lessons the burden on the mods.

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »

I understand where you are coming from but some of us (i.e. college students, and many others) might have a job during the summer. Yes we might buy gear and stuff throughout the year but that shouldn't also have to be a $35 fee just to post that I want to go ride here and can someone meet me there.

We can't think of the $35 as a "fee" to post on the forum.  The membership in IMBA/HMBA goes to support mountain biking, everywhere, now and in the future.  Trails don't just happen.  It takes lots of money and lots of volunteer hours.  Without the membership dollars and volunteer hours none of the trails at the top of the forum would exist.

A few of the benefits, off the top of my head, that just IMBA provides to us.

For the member.  I'm thinking about using the Subaru discount!
http://www.imba.com/membership/individual/benefits

Discounts on tools and supplies that we need to build and maintain trails.  Note, individual members also get these discounts.
http://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building/tool-resource-guide

Some benefits that HMBA gets.
http://www.imba.com/membership/club/benefits

Represents the Mountain Biking community for continued access to public lands.  Recent blog post as an example of what IMBA is doing.  Since all of our trails are on public land this is huge for us!  Access can never be taken for granted, especially in large urban areas like Indianapolis!
http://www.imba.com/blog/mike-van-abel/congress-talks-mountain-biking-and-other-public-lands-issues#comment-10868

Interesting study that was done that helps us gain and maintain access for mountain biking.
http://www.imba.com/resources/research/trail-science/environmental-impacts-mountain-biking-science-review-and-best-practices

For your IMBA/HMBA you get a lot!!!

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »
There is zero doubt that HMBA/IMBA membership money is well spent and everyone should join.  I don't see those being issues whatsoever. 

My fear is that substantial forum changes it will reduce the rate at which people sign up for HMBA/IMBA.

I have said for a long time that the best feature of this forum system is that it is extremely active. I believe it drives bike community involvement, education and membership. 

In my opinion placing significant restrictions on access to the forums will weaken a healthy forum, be divisive within the mountain biking community and will slow the rate of new memberships.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that we should increase the features of the forum system and aim at getting new forum members that are not blocked from anything of any significance, even if they don't join HMBA/IMBA.

bruce180vf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »
I agree with Dave on the use of the website. Of all the websites I have visited the HMBA is one of, if not the most active forum I have seen. I do not post much but read it most everyday whether I am planning on riding or not. I am sure a lot of others do this also. I see both side of this discussion whether to limit to member only or not. I have been an IMBA member before the HMBA/IMBA came together. I was a member of IMBA before HMBA also. I visit the IMBA website less than a dozen times a year.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
All the most successful forums I have been associated with have had a different level of permissions for paying members.  Different permissions really help the moderators to relax a little bit.  It helps knowing that you aren't having to instantly filter everything from the public.   I'm not saying this is Paul's goal. I just know the system works and lessons the burden on the mods.

This is my experience, also.

Shane Pettiner

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
Limiting forum use would be a bad move, at best. What about riders visiting from out of state? There have been several times I've looked at forums of other mountain bike groups that are somewhere i'm going to visit to get info on trails and maybe get together with a local. Would what is proposed going to affect that?

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links